On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, Jasmin Christian Blanchette wrote:

Starting with Isabelle/58d1b63bea81, Sledgehammer and Nitpick have a "spy" mode [*] that log all invocations to those two tools in "~/.isabelle/spy_{sledgehammer,nitpick}". If you are willing to be part of a big experience in the name of science, please add

   SLEDGEHAMMER_SPY=yes
   NITPICK_SPY=yes

to your "~/.isabelle/etc/settings" file to enable the logging.

Just a technical note: it is now quite easy to make persistent Isabelle system options with GUI access in Isabelle/jEdit (even Proof General). Then users no longer have to edit etc/settings files and reboot the system.

See for example Isabelle/e18a028b345c where this is done for sledgehammer_timeout. The canonical access from Isabelle/ML is via Options.default_int @{option sledgehammer_timeout}.

The position within Isabelle/jEdit plugin options is determined by the "section" and the "public" flag of the etc/options entry. Right now, "Miscellaneous Tools" is the one section for any such HOL tools. (I am still considering to make Z3_NON_COMMERCIAL an Isabelle system option like this for the coming release, although I got distracted with too many other things, and users of tools by Microsoft might actually expect a requirement to reboot after change of configuration :-).

        Makarius