On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Makarius wrote:

* Session ROOT specifications support explicit 'document_files' for
robust dependencies on LaTeX sources.  Only these explicitly given
files are copied to the document output directory, before document
processing is started.

This refers to Isabelle/cd8b6d849b6a. That changeset also contains some documentation in the "system" manual. Some examples are in 3ff16a7f0b2e for the src/Doc directory, with its traditional complication of matters -- and it got again a bit simpler. As expected, there were a few mistakes in the informal specification of dependencies on 'files', which was a left-over from the bad old times of "make".

I am putting the 'document_files' reform here on the table for inspection and discussion. If no further aspects are arising that require change of syntax or semantics of the mechanism, I will update all Isabelle + AFP session ROOT files eventually, lets say 2 weeks from now.

Is there anything left to say about this?

I've used this new form privately for a few sessions, and found the defaults quite canonical.

So if nothing happens in between, I will convert all Isabelle + AFP ROOT files systematically at the end of this week. I want to do the conversion of hundreds of session entries exactly once!

        Makarius