Some more explanations on the meta-model of this thread:

  * We have about 1 week left on isabelle-dev, to discuss whatever might
    prevent using Isabelle/jEdit smoothly, and why people fall-back on PG
    as a reflex.

  * Then there will be Isabelle2014-RC0, as a published release candidate,
    but *without* forking the Isabelle repository yet.  The same question
    and discussion will continue on isabelle-users, for that version, and
    as anticipation for Isabelle2014.

  * Then there will be VSL 2014 at Vienna, with the Isabelle workshop,
    ITP, UITP and more.  I am myself around 13..18-Jul-2014 (inclusive
    interval).  People can show me things personally, to see where the
    remaining snags are.

  * Then we are heading towards the Isabelle2014 release, with the normal
    Isabelle2014-RC1 and *with* forked repository, shortly after the
    ITP/UITP week of VSL.

    People who are staying themselves longer at VSL and are involved in
    the Isabelle2014 lift-off need to keep this in mind: after the fork
    changes need to be sent to me, not pushed onto the main Isabelle
    repository.

Some time after the release fork, we can look again what the present answer to the ultimate question is: Are there remaining uses of Proof General, or is Isabelle2014 the last release that supports it? (Hopefully not: Is Isabelle2014 the last release ever?)

The Isar TTY loop and its Proof General add-on has become a big burden in recent years -- both are essentially legacy. So it is worth spending extra time to deal with this seriously.

        Makarius