On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

On 22/09/2014 16:52, Makarius wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

I have installed a copy of the software locally. Would be worth making this a
component?

This canonical question has come up each time, after someone spent significant
time with the NEOS/CSDP server. I have started to experiment myself with the
binary downloads from https://projects.coin-or.org/Csdp

So far it works fine, but I need to do more multi-platform tests.

To avoid having to the install binaries by hand.

That *was* the purpose of the server when it was done the first time many years ago. Now we have the well-established concept of Isabelle components to avoid the IKEA-effect for users, to assemble things manually from parts.

I have the component already -- it was much easier to make than the cumulative mail traffic about this topic. I merely need to test it a bit more, before it becomes a standard component for everybody.

So far the conclusion on this thread: the NEOS server has no purpose anymore and can be removed.

        Makarius