On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, Florian Haftmann wrote:

a) Currently, the prefix for (signed!) ZF numerals is »#«. Since
here. As far as I understand from the sources, ZF numerals are not
polymorphic but restricted to set int in ZF.

b) The lexical category for signed numerals is named »xnum«. Maybe
»signed_num« would be more explicit.

The "x" in "xnum" can be explained historically as a special marker for
something that is a numeral with some extra decoration. The signed vs. unsigned aspect came much later, and was not there in distant past.

Looking once again at ZF xnum syntax, I think it can be expressed without the xnum token, and without any syntax change for now -- that may be reconsidered independently.

I have presently something that might soon become a changeset to remove the xnum token syntax from Pure.

        Makarius