Dear Florian,

I get the definite impression that the whole operation is out of proportion wrt the benefits. As far as I can tell, the result is a unification of two previously distinct constants, split and prod_case. I must confess that this duplication has never bothered me. Now the eta-contraction machinery needs to be revised, possibly resulting in a new syntactic constant, which is a further complication.

I would prefer to leave things as they are now. That print translation is ok and you would be moving the complications elsewhere. We really have more important issues to work on.

Tobias