On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Dmitriy Traytel wrote:

I’m not sure if this is rather something for the jEdit mailing list, but I try here first. The attached theory is an empty 500+ lines long file where everything is normal. However, if I add one new line the scrollbar disappears.

This is a problem of the Nimbus look-and-feel in jdk-8u60 (the current official release). See also https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8134827

Lets wait and see for the next jdk-8 release. If Oracle does not manage before our winter release, I might just switch the default to Metal. That old-fashioned look-and-feel works better with GUI scaling, which is essential on 4K displays.

        Makarius