On 11/06/2016 21:26, Florian Haftmann wrote:
For the moment I think bold syntax in the first choice.  In the middle
run I would suggest to have a closer look at HOLCF/Porder.thy to see
whether something can be done to integrate it more with the standard
type classes;  a least it formalizes a lot about upper / lower bounds
which is not HOLCF-specific in any way, so it could go to HOL/Library
for example.

After a closer look I came to conclusion that the use of Sup syntax in
HOLCF/Porder.thy is very application-specific.  And it is a deliberate
separate type class hierarchy since these type classes are tailored
towards continuous function space.

So maybe the best option here is to stay with plain ASCII syntax: ‹LUB
x∈A. f x›. – to emphasize its somewhat specific application.

The lub operation in is a lattice-theoretic supremum. So in principle we should be able to use operator names and syntax for that; otherwise there is something wrong (or maybe our type classes are inadequate).

Thus I would like to understand why we cannot reuse Sup etc in HOLCF like we do for all the other variants of lattices we have. We would probably need a suitable type class because at the moment lub is unrestricted.

Tobias

Cheers,
        Florian