On 15/05/17 12:29, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
> Version 5.7 doesn’t even build on my main workstation, though it works
> on my MacBook Pro running broadly similar software. No idea what is
> going on here, but I’m not happy about it.

There are already some mail threads on the Poly/ML list, where various
people have helped out to consolidate the situation.

Anyone who is proficient with C/C++ and various platforms (Linux,
Windows, Mac OS X varieties) is invited to join there -- not just now,
but also in the longer term.

Note that for Isabelle, the build process works via "isabelle
build_polyml" from recent repository versions, see also
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/annotate/8007f10195af/src/Pure/Admin/build_polyml.scala

Going through Isabelle/Scala has the slight disadvantage of obscuring
the description of the build process, but it is more robust and
repeatable on all these platform variations.

        Makarius