UN takes new swipe at Bush

UNITED NATIONS: UN Secretary General Kofi Annan opened the annual debate of world leaders here yesterday with an impassioned plea to instil respect for the rule of law across the globe to protect the innocent.

Taking a dig over Iraq at US President George W Bush, who was in the audience, Annan cited the post-war chaos and the prisoner abuse scandal among "fragrant and topical" examples of disregard for fundamental laws.

"It is by rigorously upholding international law that we can and must fulfil our responsibility to protect innocent civilians from genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes," he said.

"History will judge us very harshly if we let ourselves be deflected from this task or think we are excused from it by invocations of national sovereignty," Annan said.

Do you Yahoo!?

///// MEDIA JIM: Memurnikan Tanggapan Umum Melalui Penyebaran Ilmu dan Maklumat
//////////////////////////////////

Nota: Kandungan mel ini tidak menggambarkan pendirian rasmi Pertubuhan
Jamaah Islah Malaysia (JIM) melainkan yang dinyatakan sedemikian.

Berminat menjadi ahli JIM? Sila isi borang keahlian "online" di: http://www.jim.org.my/forms/borang_keahlian.htm

Langganan : Hantar E-mail kosong ke
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsub     : Hantar E-mail kosong ke