Sisters In Islam ialah NGO yang menggunakan nama Islam
yang lantang memperjuangkan hak-hak wanita. Dr. Amina
Wadud seorang wanita Afro American dari US akan
MENGIMAMKAN dan menjadi KHATIB dalam Solat Jumaat di
New York City. Dr. Amina Wadud ialah salah seorang
pengasas Sisters In Islam.

BUKTINYA dari laman web Sisters in Islam sendiri
http://www.muslimtents.com/sistersinislam/reports/810_062001.htm
Dr Amina Wadud is an Associate Professor of Philosophy
and Religious Studies, Virginia Commonwealth
University and also a founder member of Sisters in
Islam.

DAN BUKTI dia akan menjad imam dan khatib solat Jumaat
ialah
http://www.muslimwakeup.com/events/archives/2005/03/friday_prayer_l.php
The First Muslim Woman on Record to Lead a Public
Mixed-Gender Jum'ah Prayer
Who: Dr. Amina Wadud will lead Jumah/Muslim Friday
Prayer
When: Friday, March 18, 2005, 1-3pm
Where:If you wish to attend, you MUST fill out our
attendance form.

On Friday, March 18, 2005, Dr. Amina Wadud, professor
of Islamic studies at Virginia Commonwealth
University, will be the first woman to lead a public,
mixed-gender Friday prayer. She will also deliver the
Friday sermon. Dr. Wadud, the author of the
groundbreaking book Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the
Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective, is an esteemed
scholar of Islam who affirms the right of Muslim women
to be prayer leaders. It is a generally held view in
the Muslim world and in the American Muslim community
that women cannot lead mixed-gender prayer. This
custom is pervasive and goes unchallenged. Research
from the Qur'an and the customs of Prophet Muhammad
demonstrate that there is no prohibition precluding
women from leading mixed-gender prayer and, further,
that Prophet Muhammad approved the practice of women
leading mixed-gender prayer. Over the centuries,
Muslim women have lost their place as intellectual and
spiritual leaders.

On March 18, 2005 Muslim women will reclaim their
right to be spiritual equals and leaders. Women will
move from the space tradition has relegated them in
the back of the mosque and pray in the front rows.

Our effort will be part of a broader campaign to
create communities in that rise to the highest
principles of Islam's teachings on tolerance, justice,
equity, and compassion. In the 7th century, the
Prophet Muhammad built a model community in the city
of Medina, earning it a place in history as "the City
of Illumination" because of its progressive values. In
the 21st century, we are committed to creating modern
day "Cities of Light" in that value inclusion and
women's rights.

About Dr. Amina Wadud

Amina Wadud is an Islamic studies professor in the
department of philosophy and religious studies at
Virginia Commonwealth University. She is nationally
and internationally known for her ground breaking book
Qur'an and Women: Rereading the Sacred Text from a
Woman's Perspective, the first interpretive reading of
the Qur'an by a woman. Dr. Wadud seeks to validate the
female voice in the Qur'an and bring it out of the
shadows. Dr. Wadud will deliver the sermon and lead
the prayer.

Background:

The Muslim Women's Freedom Tour educates and empowers
Muslim women to reclaim their God-given right to lead
self-determined lives.

In 2004, we took on the issue of Muslim women gaining
access to space and voice in American mosques where
they have traditionally been banned or relegated to
isolated areas of the mosque. On June 4, 2004, a group
of seven Muslim women marched to the mosque in
Morgantown, W.V., to reclaim the right of women to use
the front door and the main hall of mosques; as in
many mosques in the United States, women had been told
to take a back door and pray in a secluded balcony.
Our historic march was the shot heard around the
world. Images and reports from the march swept across
the globe, and we have documented a positive shift in
the participation of Muslim women in mosques and
communities globally as a result of the march and the
dialogue it sparked.

This year we are affirming the right of women to be
spiritual leaders, including imams, or prayer leaders.
In a historic Friday prayer on March 18, 2005, in New
York City, women will go from the back of the mosque
to the front of the mosque.

Jumah Agenda

1:00 pm
-- 1st Call to Prayer, Welcome, Zikr, Worship
-- 2nd Call to Prayer
-- Jumah Sermon (Dr. Wadud)
-- Jumah Prayer (Dr. Wadud)
-- Solitary Prayer/Meditation
-- Fellowship with reception

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

///// MEDIA JIM: Memurnikan Tanggapan Umum Melalui Penyebaran Ilmu dan Maklumat

Nota: Kandungan mel ini tidak menggambarkan pendirian rasmi Pertubuhan
Jamaah Islah Malaysia (JIM) melainkan yang dinyatakan sedemikian.

Berminat menjadi ahli JIM? Sila isi borang keahlian "online" di:
http://www.jim.org.my/forms/borang_keahlian.htm

Langganan : Hantar E-mail kosong ke
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsub     : Hantar E-mail kosong ke