Flight From the Masjid
http://www.zaytuna.org/zaytuna/articleDetails.asp?articleID=24
By Imam Zaid Shakir
“In houses which Allah has permitted to be raised up,
that His Name may be remembered therein. In them He is
glorified, morning and evening.” [1]
One of the noblest and most beneficial institutions in
the history of humanity has been the Masjid (Mosque).
It was in the Masjid that the great scholars of Islam
were first shaped: linguists, jurists, theologians,
saints, and countless devout worshippers. The Masjid
has produced men and women who have left an indelible
mark on the world. It was around the Masjid that the
great universities, hospitals, observatories, hostels,
and the other institutions that became the hallmarks
of the great Islamic civilizational enterprise
appeared. The Masjid has always been the heart of the
Islamic community, serving as a house of worship, an
educational center, a center for the dispensing of
valuable social services, a meeting place, and a place
of solace and refuge.
Unfortunately, today in America, we find many Muslims
who have either left, or were never fully involved in
the life of the Masjid. There are many reasons for
this regrettable situation. The purpose of this
article is to examine some of those reasons, and to
suggest some measures that may prove beneficial in
overcoming them.
One of the greatest causes of the flight from the
Masjid is ignorance. This ignorance begins with a lack
of knowledge concerning the very word itself. If
asked, how many Muslims would be able to define
“Masjid,” linguistically and legally? This may seem a
trivial point, however, the meaning of the word is
intrinsically associated with its principal function.
If we were all more cognizant of the primary function
of the Masjid, we would possibly be more careful to
avoid some of the questionable practices, which
commonly occur in them. Many of those practices, as we
will seek to explain in this article, are instrumental
in the flight from the Masjid.
The word “Masjid,” in Arabic, is a place noun that
means the place of prostration. This particular noun
has also been related as “Masjad.” Al-Razi mentions in
Mukhtar al-Sihah:
…and Masjad, with an “a” after the “j”, is the
forehead of the man, in the sense that the trace of
his prostration is visible on it.” [2]
Legally, “Masjid” means any place of Earth where a
Muslim establishes prayer. The proof of this
definition is the prophetic tradition:
“…The Earth has been made a place of prayer (Masjid)
for me, and pure. Therefore, any man from my community
who is overtaken by the time of prayer, let him pray
[wherever he may be]. [3]
This facilitation is among the distinctions given to
our community. Qadi ‘Iyadh notes, in this regard
The believers before us would only pray in demarcated
areas whose purity was ascertained. We have been
distinguished by being able to pray anywhere on Earth,
except in those areas whose filthiness has been
ascertained. [4]
The word “Masjid” has then been conventionally applied
to a specific place that has been consecrated to
accommodate the five daily prayers. Other places where
prayer may occur, such as a prayer room (Musalla), or
a monastery (Ribat), or a religious school, are not
given the same legal status of the Masjid. [5]
Knowing this, we should never lose sight of the fact
that the primary function of the Masjid is to
accommodate prayer, and by extension other acts of
worship. We should strive in our communities to make
the Masjid appealing to the worshippers, regardless of
their organizational affiliations. This involves
keeping out all unnecessary distractions, beautifying
the Masjid to make it a place conducive to spiritual
devotion, and keeping it clean to minimize the
appearance of foul odors, insects associated with
filth, and vermin. All of these things, when present,
diminish the quality of spiritual reflection in ones
devotional acts.
Many people fail to realize how important these points
are for converts. Many converts are turned away from
the Masjids because of the confusion and repulsive
physical condition that characterizes many of them.
Converts from other religious traditions are leaving
houses of worship, which are the epitome of
cleanliness, order, and serenity. One would be hard
pressed to find a church or synagogue with food
smudged into the carpets, overflowing trash cans
inside the premises, devotional literature piled
willy-nilly on the bookshelves, filthy bathrooms, and
worship services disturbed by roving bands of unruly,
undisciplined children. After encountering such
situations in many Masjids, some converts simply
choose to stay home.
Another reason behind the flight from the Masjid is
the way they have been politicized. Almighty God
clearly declares in the Qur’an:
“And the Masjids are for Almighty God, therefore call
on no one along with God.” [6]
This politicizing leads to a sectarianism that tears
at the unity of our communities. One of the functions
of the Masjid is the unification of the believers.
This unifying function can be gathered from reflecting
on the description Allah gives of Masjid al-Dirar, a
Masjid the believers have been commanded to never
stand in:
“There are those who build a Masjid by way of mischief
and unbelief, in order to disunite the believers…” [7]

One of the liguistic implications of this verse is
that an acceptable Masjid is one that unifies the
believers. That unity is based on a communion fostered
by the shared devotion of the believers in the Masjid.
Conflicting political agendas tear at the very heart
of that unity. In many instances, those conflicting
agendas become associated with particular Masjids. We
frequently hear terms such as a Salafi Masjid, an
Ikhwani Masjid, a Sufi Masjid, and other such
aberrations. Although the orientations that form the
basis of these appellations may have great benefit for
their individual adherents, when they become
exclusionary appendages affixed to the Masjid, they
can be extremely alienating. This is one of the
factors pushing many people away from the House of
Allah.
This politicizing of the Masjid sometimes leads to
excessive arguing and disputation. In many cases,
heated disputes among the defenders of varying
interpretations of Islam, repulses many Muslims. This
is especially true in the case of converts from
Christianity, who were attracted to Islam because of
its clarity, and the unity of its theology. Muslims in
this category are extremely idealistic. Nothing
shatters that idealism like sectarian bickering.
Many so-called “modernist” or “secularized” Muslims
are similarly repulsed by sectarianism. Such
individuals, who sometimes see the Masjid as a bastion
of “narrow-minded” fundamentalists, who have
acclimated to the bureaucratic, administrative, and
managerial processes which define modern Western
society, are easily frustrated in their efforts to
become involved in the activities and running of the
Masjid. Excessive arguing, administrative and
managerial ineptitude, and uninspiring programs try
the patience of many individuals who fall into this
category.
Multitudes of Muslims women, here in the West, are
working in every conceivable field of endeavor. We
find among our Muslim sisters; doctors, lawyers,
managers, administrators, professors, teachers, and
talented, efficient homemakers. Many of them approach
the Masjid seeking to use their myriad talents to
enhance the programs and running of the Masjid. In too
many instances they find the doors of involvement
slammed in their faces, many times by men who
themselves have neither the time nor the expertise to
make a meaningful contribution to the efficient
running of the Masjid. As a result, many of our
Masjids are “dead” institutions. Confronted with this
situation, many of our sisters choose not to involve
themselves in the life of the Masjid.
Many of our youth are also blocked from any effective
involvement in the affairs of the Masjid, even if they
are highly motivated religiously. They gain the
impression that they have to wait for the “uncles” to
die before they can have any say in the running of the
Masjid. Others, who may not be as religiously
committed, drift away from the Masjid because there
are no viable classes or programs to keep their
interest.
Finally, in many areas, where the percentage of
African American or Hispanic converts is too small to
support the creation of a Masjid in their respective
communities, there is a perception of a subtle racism
which keeps them away from any meaningful leadership
role in the existing “immigrant” Masjids. In many
instances, the failure to even acknowledge the
existence of any friction between various racial and
ethnic groups only alienates indigenous Muslims all
the more, leading to a slow attrition process that
results in their gradual migration from the Masjid.
Overcoming the flight from the Masjid will require a
concerted effort on the part of us all, leaders and
laity. Below, we list some practical measures that
will allow us to enhance the viability of our Masjids,
and hopefully arrest the flight from them
1.      Education. Community leaders will have to endeavor
to create and maintain viable education programs that
will help to overcome the general lack of knowledge
concerning the role of the Masjid and its associated
rulings. This process of education is also the
responsibility of the laity. Each individual Muslim
has to work to enhance his or her understanding of the
centrality of the Masjid in the life of the Muslim
community, and then make a commitment to become
involved in the life of this indispensable
institution.
2.      Avoiding Sectarian Politics. No one disputes the
role of politics in Islam. Similarly, Islamic
movements and groups have their part to play in the
revival of the Ummah. However, the Masjid is neither
the place for political organizing and recruiting, nor
sectarian pontification. The Masjid is the House of
Allah, consecrated for His worship. Every other
function is secondary. Our homes, schools, campuses,
offices, institutes, and meeting halls provide ample
platforms for us to present our particular views
concerning politics and society. The political
neutrality of the Masjid must be maintained. By so
doing, perhaps our enhanced communion will put more
love between our hearts, and this will go a long ways
towards ultimately strengthening the Ummah. It should
be noted that what is being condemned here is not the
discussion of political issues which are of import to
all Muslims, rather using the Masjid as a platform to
advance sectarian political agendas.
3.      Openness. The Masjids are for Allah. We should
consciously work to foster an open atmosphere in the
Masjid, an atmosphere that is inviting to all; men,
women, youth, conservatives, modernists, converts,
everyone. If we all commit ourselves to the creation
of such an atmosphere, will bring it about. It is
essential to remind ourselves that the collective “we”
is weightier than the individual “me” in Islam. On the
Day of Judgment when all of the people are concerned
with themselves, our Noble Prophet, Peace and
Blessings of Almighty God be upon Him, will be
concerned with the entire community, he will be crying
out, “Ummati, Ummati,” (my community, my community).
4.      Cleanliness. As the old adage goes, “Cleanliness is
next to Godliness.” Our Masjids should be a living
embodiment of this saying. If we describe them as the
“Houses of Allah,” we should make every effort to keep
them clean and to beautify them. It is a shame that
many Muslims maintain immaculate residences, but pay
scant attention to the cleanliness of the Masjid. If
our edifices are aesthetically appealing, their innate
attractiveness alone will encourage their visitation.

A final point we wish to mention is the need to
understand the religious stature of the Masjid and the
virtue of worship in it. We are all familiar with the
fact that the congregational prayer in the Masjid is
twenty-seven times more virtuous when performed in the
Masjid. [8] A great reward is also promised to those
who sit in the Masjid between the congregational
prayers. [9] Similarly, both the Tarawih prayers, and
the prophetic tradition of ‘Itikaf encourage all
Muslims, male and female, to involve themselves in the
life of the Masjid during the blessed month of
Ramadan. The Noble Prophet, Peace and Blessings of
Allah be upon him, has reminded us that among the
people shaded by Allah in the shade of His Throne on
the Day of Judgment will be a believer whose heart is
attached to the Masjid. [10] All of these reminders
should be sufficient to endear the Masjid to us, and
to encourage us to frequent it regardless of problems
that may be plaguing it.
If we can reflect on these reminders, and take the
steps we have outlined in this article, perhaps we
will be able to arrest the flight from the Masjid. If
we succeed, we can ensure that the Masjid assumes its
rightful place as the center of our communal life.
Imam Zaid Shakir
New Haven, CT
03-29-03
1] Al-Qur’an 24:36.
[2] Muhammad Abu Bakr al-Razi, Mukhtar al-Sihah
(Beirut, Lebanon: Maktabatu Lubnan, 1985), p. 121.
[3] Ibn Hajar al-‘Asqilani, Fath al-Bari: Sharh Sahih
al-Bukhari (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Dar al-Salaam,
1997), vol. 1, p. 565, #335.
[4] Quoted in Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullah al-Zarkashi,
‘Ilam al-Sajid bi Ahkam al-Masajid (Cairo, Egypt:
Wizara al-Awqaf, 1996), p. 27.
[5] Ibid. p. 28.
[6] Al-Qur’an 72:18.
[7] Al-Qur’an 9:107.
[8] Al-Bukhari #618, Muslim #650.
[9] Quoted in Imam Abu Zakariyya al-Nawawi, Riyadh
al-Salihin, (Damascus, Syria: Dar al-Ma’mun li
al-Turath, 1994), p. 342, #1065.
[10] Al-Nawawi,  p. 155, #376.
Reprinted with permisison from SEASONS Journal.
Seasons Journal is availabe online.

=====
please visit and join:

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links