Maqsud, The Cat, and Fajr prayer: Cats and Islam

By Maqsud Sobhani

Ever since I moved back to Bangladesh, I am making a
more conscious effort to not only get up for Fajr but
also to pray at the Masjid. Dhaka, over the years,
without any exaggerations, has transformed into a city
of shops and stores; with departmental stores and
malls that would put many in USA to shame. The part of
the city where I reside, in particular, is all stores
with large apartment complexes. From day till night
the roads are filled with cars, buses, rickshaws,
pedestrians, each trying to squeeze by the other. The
street vendors, with their little shops, and
pedestrians compete for space in the side walks. There
is hardly, or rather any room to walk, with the crowd
spilling well into the already busy streets.

However, at the break of dawn the atmosphere is much
different. It is still somewhat dark, little foggy,
partly because of the winter and partly pollution.
Just about everyone is still sleeping. You walk
through the neighborhood street, with giant
(unplanned) apartment buildings (some higher than 20
stories) on both sides, looking down on you like some
giant king Kong, ready to crush you under his feet.
Although the city streets now look treacherously
empty, they are under the control of trucks, with
their reckless driving and unnecessary blaring of
horns.

There is however still some tranquility, and a
relative peace of mind. No wonder, the Prophet (PBUH)
had placed so much importance on getting up for Fajr
prayer. In the midst of all the craziness of this
world, the “24 hour A Day” TV channels, shopping
complexes and restaurants, it is still a time when
most of the world is at sleep, giving oneself the time
for self reflection and the “private space” that we so
often crave.

In one such fine morning, Dec 6th, 2004 to be
specific, I got up in the morning and went to the
Masjid to offer the Fajr prayer. It was an uneventful
lazy walk. Couple of security guards and night-watch
men here and there, and the newspaper hawkers (they
distribute all the newspapers and magazines to homes
and offices) starting to gather on the side walks with
fresh newspaper and recycled news off the press. I
went inside the Masjid, offered my Sunnah prayer and
waited for the Imam to start the Fajr prayer. But we
kept hearing the distant crying of a distressed
kitten. The crying continued incessantly throughout
the Fajr prayer. It was almost surreal; few of us
quietly sitting or praying at the spacious Masjid,
it’s still somewhat dark outside, there was this
“Sakinah” tranquility probably only to be found during
dawn of the day. Yet my mind was wandering at the
sound of the crying kitten echoing throughout the
walls of the Masjid.

I have always been fond of cats. When we were young,
that is my brother and I, we had cats as pet. When I
lived in Texas, I somewhat “adopted” a little cat.
Looking pale and starved, I gave it some milk one time
and since then it became a regular guest to my
apartment. Even when I was not at home, I would keep
some milk for it in a bowl outside the door. Soon the
cat started bringing his friends over for milk and
snack! It continued on for months till I left Texas
and by that time, the cat was almost full grown. I
wondered if it looked for me, asking, what ever
happened to the strange looking guy!

About a year ago, my 2 nieces and one nephew started
to press for a pet. Among the suggestions they made
ranged from dog to cat to snake, and many things in
between. Before the house turned into a zoo, we all
compromised on a cat. Since then, the cat has become a
member of their household.

After the prayer was over, I thought I should try to
locate the kitten, mostly out of curiosity. I did not
know if the kitten belonged to anyone or if there were
other cats involved. I found this tiny little cat,
mostly white, with the head and tail being black, in a
passage behind the wudu/purification area. The passage
is very narrow, connecting several other buildings
next to the Masjid. The kitten looked hungry and
scared. I looked for its mother, but it was all alone.
I thought I would pick it up little bit to comfort it
but it ran away from me. So the chase began; after
running around to catch it for few minutes, finally I
was able to catch it. I picked it up and it almost fit
in the palm of my hand. It was very dirty but I didn’t
really care at that point because the kitten seemed to
be content with being in the palm of my hand. Without
thinking much, I decided to bring it at home not
realizing fully the amount of responsibilities that
comes with a pet. I feel like being a single parent
these days, since I have to take care of it all by
myself and I don’t have all the amenities that I had
in USA for pet care. I also feel like a newly married
since the cat and I, both having to readjust our life
style, we are getting used to each other! We are
little unsure of each other, yet we know that we will
have a long life together.

Alhamdulillah, the cat is healthy now and eating well,
though I think it prefers when I feed him personally.
I still do not have a name for it, so if you have any
suggestions, feel free to email me with it. Enough
about my unnamed cat!

Typically, raising a cat like that is not a big deal
in an average Bangladeshi family. They do not get the
“high quality” care that pets get in USA for the
obvious reasons. We have hard time taking care of
humans, let alone animals. However, In the Islamic
tradition, animals, and in particular cat holds a very
special position. I personally believe that keeping a
pet teaches valuable lessons about kindness, care and
compassion, especially for the children.

I want to share some of the narrations regarding
animal and cat, and InshaAllah we will all benefit
from it.

I want to make sure that we all understand one thing;
in Islam it is obligatory for us to show kindness to
ALL animals. There are some profound hadith that
testifies to that, and I want to share one such hadith
here:

Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "While a man was
walking on his way he became extremely thirsty. He
found a well; he went down into it to drink water.
Upon leaving it, he saw a dog which was panting out of
thirst. His tongue was lolling out and he was eating
moist earth from extreme thirst. The man thought to
him: `This dog is extremely thirsty as I was.' So he
descended into the well, filled up his leather sock
with water, and holding it in his teeth, climbed up
and quenched the thirst of the dog. Allah appreciated
his action and forgave his sins".
The Companions asked: "Shall we be rewarded for
showing kindness to the animals also?'' He (PBUH)
said, "A reward is given in connection with every
living creature".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Another narration says:
"A prostitute (mind it, a prostitute!) was forgiven by
Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well
and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst,
she took off her shoe, and tying it with her
head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah
forgave her because of that." [Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol.
4, #538]

On the other side of the spectrum, there are some
serious, jaw dropping, mind numbing, and hair raising
hadith regarding the consequences of cruelty toward
animals.

Ibn `Umar reported that the Prophet (Peace be upon
him) said: "A woman entered Hell because she had tied
up a cat, without giving it food or setting it free to
eat the vermin of the earth." In another version, "A
women is punished because she had tied up a cat till
it died, she neither feed it, nor give it water in its
confinement. Yet she further set it not free it to eat
the vermin of the earth." [Note: Reported by
Al-Bukhari and others on the authority of Ibn `Umar.]

Everyone knows about Abu Hurayrah, the great companion
of Prophet of Allah (upon whom be peace), the one
transmitted more hadith than anyone else. There are so
many other great stories about him, yet many probably
are not aware of how he got his name. The first time
Abu Hurayrah met Prophet Muhammad (PBUH),
The prophet asked him: "What is your name?"

"Abdu Shams - Servant of a Sun," replied Abu Hurayrah.

"Instead, let it be Abdur-Rahman - the Servant of the
Beneficent Lord," said the Prophet (PBUH).

However, he continued to be known as Abu Hurayrah, his
nickname, "the kitten man", literally "the father of a
kitten" for he was fond of cats and since his
childhood often had a cat to play with.
There are so many other great stories/traditions about
animals, birds and other living creatures; I have only
shared few, with focus on cat. InshaAllah, we can
discuss the other stories in future.

Just one more thing, if there is so high reward for
giving water to a dog, and so severe punishment for
not giving food to a cat, then what does it mean for
us, if we do the same to other humans? May be we can
all contemplate about it little.

http://mail.yahoo.com

It is better to give....
Especially when giving to a child in poverty.
Click here to meet a child you can help.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FZp9YD/0nhJAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links