Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 5:50 AM
Subject:.Touching Story! A must read - Please post to all your friends

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=61781

THE INDIAN EXPRESS, DECEMBER 30, 2004

Caring has no religion, ask this Jamaat chief in a Cuddalore corner
Mosque works overtime to take care of Hindu, Christian fisherfolk

RAJEEV P I

Posted online: Thursday, December 30, 2004 at 0255 hours IST

CUDDALORE, DECEMBER 29: Rahmatullah is a tired man. He and his nephew
have just returned to their masjid after burying an unknown Christian
man,identifiable by the black thread with the little cross around the
neck. They had not forgotten to put a makeshift bamboo cross on the
burial mound.

He now needs to take the infant daughter of Shivakumar, both staying
in the masjid, to the doctor. ''Maaf karna, kaam bahut pada hai.
Hamara president\Younus saab se baath keejiye,'' he says in Hindi,
before going out.

In Cuddalore, the second hardest-hit town in Tamil Nadu when the
killer waves came, a masjid and the local jamaat have emerged as the
rallying point for thousands of fisherfolk-almost all of them Hindus
and Christians. There are hardly any Muslim fishermen in Cuddalore,
and most of the local Muslims are either traders-which explains the
Hindi-or have NRI sons in the Gulf. There have been no Muslim
casualties. ''We came to know when people came running to the masjid,
minutes after it happened. We decided to do what we could do,'' says
Mohammed Younus, president of the United Islamic Jamaat. ''Isme kya
badi baath hai?'' he asks.

The administration is grateful. Says District Collector Gagandeep
Singh Bedi:''They have been doing wonderful work, I was with them the
whole last night.''Once the relief and rescue work is over, Bedi
plans to write to the state government about their work.

Within minutes of the tsunami striking Pudukuppam, Samayarpettah,
Chinnoor and other little villages along the Cuddalore coast on
Sunday morning, Younus had summoned his flock. Within half an hour,
his men had left their shops and homes for the beaches in their goods
vans, cars, two-wheelers and cycles, picking up and rushing the
injured to hospitals.

By noon the Jamaat on its own had organised milk for a few hundred
babies, and food for over 3,000 survivors. By evening, about 3,000
Muslim men were tending to over 10,000 Hindus and Christians in
makeshift camps in the local schools.

A few hundred of the survivors were invited to stay in the masjid,
where they still stay. Many more are in the Jamaat's school, and
dozens occupy its office building.

For the last three days, the Jamaat has employed 24 cooks working
round the clock to feed about 9,000-odd survivors. Some in the relief
camps and others in the five battered villages. The administration
provides the rice and milk, and the Jamaat buys the vegetables and
everything else on its own. There are about 20,000 men under the
Jamaat, and the huge community kitchens that it had been
using for its frequent community feasts were immediately turned into
relief kitchens.

As the bodies began piling up, Younus asked his men not to hesitate.
And, for the last three days, they have been doing what might be
unthinkable for many Muslims: carrying bodies on their own shoulders
and cremating them. ''To the possible extent, we have been making
sure that the Hindu bodies are burnt, and Christians are buried. They
should not feel offended in death,'' Younus reasons.

Younus says he hadn't slept or eaten well after the tragedy stuck. He
has been running around five villages guiding his men, looking after
the survivors, making things work.

It was only when the Army moved in yesterday to Pudukuppam, which
suffered the heaviest toll, that the Jamaat withdrew from that
village. But for the other four, it is still the only solace. ''It's
all God's will. Inshallah, they will all begin life well in a few
weeks,'' he says.

Younus says none of his over 3,000 men will leave until the survivors
are back on their feet. ''We will continue to raise money to feed
them for as long as they need. They are welcome to be with us as long
as they want,'' Younus says.

MikeGhouse
www.MikeGhouse.net

Yahoo! Groups Links