URGENT ACTION ALERT: FOX News prepares to target M.
SHAHID ALAM, free expression & academic freedom

Assalamu aleikum.

URL for the article
"America and Islam: Seeking Parallels"
By M. SHAHID ALAM
Counterpunch
December 29, 2004
http://www.counterpunch.org/shahid12292004.html

---

URGENT ACTION ALERT:
FOX News prepares to target M. SHAHID ALAM, free
_expression & academic freedom

Dear all

Here’s a rare opportunity when we know in advance that
 free _expression, academic freedom, and one of our
friends is about to be blasted by the dark side.

M. Shahid Alam, essayist,  poet, and economics
professor at  Northeastern University, was viciously
attacked, including death threats, last month by
several right-wing websites for two essays he wrote
``America and Islam: Seeking Parallels” and a follow
up, ``Testing Free Speech in America,” both available
at www.msalam.net.

Now FOX TV – probably the Bill O’Reilly show -- is
targeting him for attack tonight. Below is a message
from Shahid explaining the lead up to tonight’s
attack.

Please watch the program and then inundate FOX TV with
your responses to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please also support Shahid and Northeastern University
by phone at 1-617-373-2101 or FAX at 1617-373-5015.

Be part of the solution -- speak out against hatred
and repression, defend free speech and academic
integrity!

With hope and strength –

Gale Courey Toensing

-

Fox Prepares to Attack Me

I published an essay, “America and Islam: Seeking
Parallels,” in Counterpunch.Org on December 29, 2004.
A day later, I began to receive nasty and threatening
emails, all at once. These were orchestrated by a
www.littlegreenfootballs.com. Shortly thereafter,
other right-wing websites got into act, posting
excerpts from the essay; these included
jihadwatch.org, campuswatch.org, frontpagemag.com,
freerepublic.com, etc. The messages posted on these
websites were equally vicious, and some of them,
containing explicit death threats, were ‘kindly’
forwarded to me.

What did I say in this essay? I made two points.
First, that the 9-11 attacks were an Islamist
insurgency: the attackers believe that they are
fighting – as the Americans did, in the 1770s – for
their freedom and dignity against a foreign
occupation/control of their lands. Secondly, I argue
that these attacks were the result of a massive
political failure of Muslims to resist their tyrannies
locally. It was a mistake to attack the US.

I followed the first essay with a second one, “Testing
Free Speech In America,” where I elaborate on the
points I had made earlier. This too was published in
Counterpunch.Org on Jan 1/2, 2005.

The emails to me and the University continued for
another two weeks, eventually tapering off. In the
meanwhile, I was speaking to people at the ACLU,
Boston, and the ADC, Boston. On the suggestion of the
ACLU, I contacted the campus police and the police in
my hometown to let them know about the death threats
posted against me.

I had a feeling this was not the end of the matter. So
yesterday, February 1, I received an email from Fox
News asking for a TV interview; they were producing a
program “on me.” At this point, I spoke to people at
ACLU who advised me against going on the program. I
received the same advice from other friends. I wrote
back to Fox saying I could not do the interview but
would be glad to answer any questions. They did not
take me up on my offer. Clearly, this would not help
them in their designs against me.

It appears that Bill O’Reilly is doing a series on
‘unAmerican’ professors on US campuses. Last night, my
wife tells me, he did a piece on Ward Churchill.
Tonight will be my turn. I expect he will make all
kinds of outlandish accusations that will resonate
well with the left- and Muslim-hating members of his
audience. This will generate calls and emails to
Northeastern and to me – containing threats, calls for
firing me, and threats to withhold donations. I am not
sure how well NU will stand up against this barrage.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links