Somali clerics reject AU deployment
by
Friday 11 February 2005 4:03 PM GMT

Somalians were asked to rally against the move on Friday

African troops must not deploy in Somalia because they are not Muslim, a
federation of Islamic groups in the war-ravaged country have said.

Their comments represent a fresh challenge to government plans to use
foreign troops to stabilise the war-torn country.

African soldiers due to arrive in the coming months were unacceptable on
the grounds of faith, said Ibrahim Suley, Secretary-General of the
Umbrella Organisation of Islamic Clerics, a federation of Mogadishu
Muslim groups.

"We reject all foreign intervention and request parliament not to
approve the peace mission, which will allow African forces to enter
Somalia," Suley said in a statement.

"We are not of the same religion and that is why we cannot accept them."

Opposition

The statement echoes complaints by two Mogadishu tribal leaders serving
in President Abdullahi Yusuf's cabinet about his plan to rely on African
Union (AU) troops to restore order.

Yusuf's government asked for
the deployment of 7500 troops
The federation has support among some of the poorest communities in the
capital and links to influential Islamist courts in the Sunni Muslim
country.

The tribal leaders say Somali militias, given retraining, can do the job
themselves and in any case foreigners who do not share Somalis' faith or
culture will find it difficult to keep order.

Yusuf's government, formed in the safety of neighbouring Kenya at peace
talks last year, aims to end fighting between clans and militias that
have run Somalia since feuding tribal leaders ousted military dictator
Muhammad Siad Barre in 1991.

Law and order

It plans to return to Somalia from Nairobi on 21 February and will
probably rely on its own resources for security in its first few weeks.
But it wants a foreign peace force to arrive to help it restore law and
order within a couple of months.

Somalia's insecurity was underlined this week when BBC producer Kate
Peyton was shot dead in one of the capital's less risky neighbourhoods.
At least eight other foreign journalists have been killed in Somalia in
the past 14 years of chaos.

Yusuf is seen by some as being
too close to Ethiopia
Armed men working for Yusuf's government combed several districts of
Mogadishu on Thursday and Friday and picked up several leads in the
search for the killer, residents said.

Yusuf's cabinet has asked for 7500 troops from African Union and Arab
League nations, and the AU has authorised five east African nations to
send troops and equipment.

Minivans toured the capital on Friday morning asking ordinary people to
meet after noon prayers at a stadium to show their opposition to the
planned deployment of AU peacekeepers.

Suley's statement made no mention of troops from the Arab League, which
Yusuf has also asked to send troops.

Mistrust

Diplomats say the opposition to foreign troops voiced by two tribal
leaders in Yusuf's cabinet - Housing Minister Usman Ali Ato and Commerce
Minister Muse Sudi Yalahow - reflects mistrust of Yusuf's intentions
rather than confidence in their own militias.

Yusuf is seen by many in Mogadishu as being too close to regional power
Ethiopia, Somalia's historic foe.

Dozens of MPs who visited Mogadishu this week in a team led by
parliament speaker Sharif Hasan Shaikh Adan were due to arrive back in
Nairobi on Friday and report to the government.

"We have to put down our guns voluntarily," Adan told a radio talk show
in Mogadishu on Thursday evening.

He added: "If that does not happen, the new system we have established
in Nairobi should take appropriate measures. Our system should function
with the support of the international community, including African
countries and their armed forces."

Reuters
By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/04C70244-CF49-4D9B-93BD-44A315F7CA7F.htm

\
___\
Stay Strong\
\
 "Be a friend to the oppressed and an enemy to the oppressor" \
--Imam Ali Ibn Abu Talib (as)\
\
"This mathematical rhythmatical mechanism enhances my wisdom\
of Islam, keeps me calm from doing you harm, when I attack, it's Vietnam"\
--HellRazah\
\
"It's not too good to stay in a white man's country too long"\
--Mutabartuka\
\
"As for we who have decided to break the back of colonialism, \
our historic mission is to sanction all revolts, all desperate \
actions, all those abortive attempts drowned in rivers of blood."\
 - Frantz Fanon\
\
"Everyday is Ashura and every land is Kerbala"\
-Imam Ja'far Sadiq\
\
http://www.sleepybrain.net/vanilla.html\
\
http://www.world-crisis.com/analysis_comments/766_0_15_0_C/ \
\
http://ilovepoetry.com/search.asp?keywords=braithwaite&orderBy=date\
\
http://www.lowliferecords.co.uk/\
\
}

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links