Title: SUPPORT YVONNE RIDLEY!!

SUPPORT YVONNE RIDLEY!!

A GROUP of leading scholars from around the world have called on Muslims in Britain to support Leicester South candidate Yvonne Ridley.

Ridley hit the international headlines in 2001 when she was captured by the Taliban two days after sneaking into Afghanistan as undercover journalist. She emerged 10 days later to the anger of the Bush Administration and the British Prime Minister Tony Blair when she announced the Taliban had treated her with respect and courtesy.

Nearly three years later she became a Muslim and further confounded the enemies of Islam. Messages of support from Saudi-born Sheikh Abdul Hafeez Makki, Moulana Samee ul Haq and Mufti Aslam as well as other scholars were gathered after it emerged the revert was not getting the support of the Leicester Muslim community.

Their messages were read out at a rally in Leicester on Sunday and have brought about a change of political direction for the constituent's 26,000 Muslim voters. Leicester South candidate Yvonne Ridley was speaking at the Stop Political Terror rally where former Guantanamo detainee Martin Mubanga also spoke about his harrowing experiences. The wife of political prisoner Babar Ahmed and the former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan Craig Murray also shared the same platform.

The surprise messages of support from the religious figures were read out at the rally. "All the Muslims should support you - your win will be an honour for Islam," was the message from Sheikh Abdul Hafeez Makki sent from Makkah to Yvonne Ridley. He had passed on the message through the internationally known moulana Samee ul Haq who added: "I believe it is the duty of British Muslims in Leicester not only to support and vote for our sister Yvonne Ridley but also to campaign for her and try and get her elected." The Moulana, who is also a senator in Pakistan, is visiting Britain for several days during the election campaign.

Mufti Aslam, one of the leading muftis in Britain also sent a message of support from his base in Rotherham. "Yvonne Ridley deserves all the support from Muslim communities in Leicester - I urge the mosques and organisations in the area to help her campaign by all means possible."

The unprecedented rally of support came after it emerged Yvonne Ridley is the only Muslim candidate in a field of eight men, yet she is the only one not allowed in most of the mosques in the constituency.

Meanwhile, at the Leicester rally Ridley also rounded on the "Rotten Borough Syndrome evident in Leicester where Mafia-style politics" had sent a ripple of fear and intimidation through the community. "I've had meetings behind brick walls, in graveyards and other weird places because people are afraid of being seen in my company. "This has made me more determined than ever to forge ahead with our campaign which, at the moment, is being driven ahead and spear-headed by sisters in the community. "However these messages of support from some of Islam's leading religious figures have now given us a new momentum. "I was really overwhelmed and touched by the way in which they reacted," added Ridley.

Yahoo! Groups Links