" However, we read in a translation of a book written by M. N. Albani that for a woman to cover her face is preferable but not obligatory. Please comment. "

According to famous jurists of Islam :-

IMAM MALIK...-The entire body of a woman is included in satr (i.e. parts which should be kept    covered) except the hands and face.

IMAM SHAFI’I – Also makes an exception in favour of the face and hands.

IMAM AHMED - Entire body of a woman should be kept fully covered except the face.

IMAM HANBAL – Entire body of a woman should be kept fully covered except the face.

IMAM ABU HANIFAH – says it is not lawful for a stranger to see any part of a woman’s body, but he can

        See her face and hands.

IMAM ABU YUSUF...In addition to the face and the hands, the wrists of a woman may also be lawfully

        Seen.

abdeen