I am really shocked by your comments Alan.i would like to give reply to your comments.

yousaid:
 Yet it's crucial to remember that Mukhtaran is only a window into a much larger problem --- the neglect by Musharraf's government of the plight of women and girls.

as media is growing stronger it is almost impossible to hide cases of rape in pakistan. i would say that criminals should get ultimate punishment thats all but giving such great coverage in media is an another effort by pakistan's enemies to destroy its image in the world. In her interview mukhtara mai had said "i dont why media is giving me so coverage".

you said

On average, a woman is raped every two hours in Pakistan, and two women a day die in honor killings.

dear alan
    i would like to say that you are the greatest exagerator of the world for your kind information this is the figures of UK and in USA a woman is raped ever 10min (note that in USA rape is called which is done without the permission of women). i wonder why media highlight the honor killing in tribal agencies they dont highlight men taken to death for adultry or some thing like that. Pakistan is one of the country where crime rate is very low despite ineffectedness of law inforcement agencies and the only reason is that people follows a Holy religion which give fear of Allah in their heart if not law inforcement agencies.

When a group of middle-class Pakistani women demonstrated last month for equal rights in Lahore, police clubbed them and dragged them to jail. They particularly targeted Asma Jahangir, a U.N. special rapporteur who is also the head of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. Jahangir says the directions to the police about her, coming from an intelligence official close to Musharraf, were: ''Teach the [expletive] a lesson. Strip her in public.'' Sure enough, the police ripped her shirt off and tried to pull off her trousers. If that's how Musharraf's government treats one of the country's most distinguished lawyers, imagine what happens to a peasant challenging injustice.

you did not mention who is jehangir and how he get direct orders from Musharaf. I have seen the whole video in Geo News(pakistani channel) of viedeo of protest and found nothing like u have reported. if such thing happen in karachi the people would kill the policeman thats for sure.

   the most credible evidence of the conspiracy to destroy pakistan's image or in other words muslim's image is the interview of the victim its self that my issue is misused by pakistan's enemies(mukhtara mai).  NGO's use media to highlight this issue and pressurise the govt to give them money for the victim but instead they have given not a single penny to the victim and the amount is in millions. the victim have called inspection for the corruption and have said that she dont want money but the death of the raper.

concluding my mail i would say that we muslims in muslims country are million times better in human rights then in western countries and will remain better because of our Religion. and dont hear tto western media they will always say against muslims.

i appeal pakistani govt. official to strictly punished the meadia and NGO's who is responsible for giving so coverage to a small matter and destroying pakistani image. its a very simple matter just punish the raper to death.

M.Siraj Siddiqui,

karachi,

Pakistan.

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Pakistani Leader Needs to Address Mistreatment of Women
(Comments in RED are Mine)

By Nicholas Kristof – THE ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION – June 24, 2005

When Pakistan's president visits next month, President Bush will presumably use the occasion to repeat his praise for President Pervez Musharraf as a bold leader ''dedicated in the protection of his own people.'' Then they will sit down and discuss Bush's plan to sell Pakistan F-16 fighter jets capable of carrying nuclear weapons.

But here's a suggestion: How about the White House dropping word that before Musharraf arrives, he first return the passport of Mukhtaran Bibi, the rape victim turned human-rights campaigner, so that she can visit the United States?

Despite Bush's praise, Musharraf shows more commitment to his beloved F-16s than to his people. Now he's paying the price. Visiting New Zealand in the last few days, he was battered by questions about why he persecuted a rape victim, forcing him to cancel interviews.

Pakistani newspapers savaged him for harming Pakistan's image. And the blogosphere has taken up Mukhtaran's case, with more than 100 blogs stirring netizens to send blizzards of e-mails to Pakistani consulates or to join protests planned for this week at Pakistani offices in New York and Washington.  Yet it's crucial to remember that Mukhtaran is only a window into a much larger problem --- the neglect by Musharraf's government of the plight of women and girls.

Early this year, for example, a doctor named Shazia Khalid reported that she had been gang-raped in a government-owned natural-gas plant. Instead of treating her medically, officials drugged her into unconsciousness for three days to keep her quiet and then shipped her to a psychiatric hospital. When she persisted in trying to report the rape, she was held under house arrest in Karachi. The police suggested that since she had cash, she must have been working as a prostitute. Shazia's husband has stood by her, but his grandfather was quoted as suggesting that Shazia had disgraced the family and should be killed.

On average, a woman is raped every two hours in Pakistan, and two women a day die in honor killings.

While Mukhtaran and Shazia have attracted international support, most victims in Pakistan are on their own. This year, for example, police reported that a village council had punished a man for having an affair by ordering his 2-year-old niece to be given in marriage to a 40-year-old man. In another case this year, an 11-year-girl named Nazan was rescued from her husband's family, which beat her, broke her arm and strung her from the ceiling because she didn't work hard enough. Then there are Pakistan's hudood laws, which have been used to imprison thousands of women who report rapes. If rape victims cannot provide four male witnesses to the crime, they risk being whipped for adultery, since they acknowledge illicit sex and cannot prove rape.

When a group of middle-class Pakistani women demonstrated last month for equal rights in Lahore, police clubbed them and dragged them to jail. They particularly targeted Asma Jahangir, a U.N. special rapporteur who is also the head of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. Jahangir says the directions to the police about her, coming from an intelligence official close to Musharraf, were: ''Teach the [expletive] a lesson. Strip her in public.'' Sure enough, the police ripped her shirt off and tried to pull off her trousers. If that's how Musharraf's government treats one of the country's most distinguished lawyers, imagine what happens to a peasant challenging injustice.

I've heard from Pakistanis who, while horrified by honor killings and rapes, are embarrassed that it is the barbarism in Pakistan that gets headlines abroad. A word to those people: I understand your defensiveness, for we Americans feel the same about Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib. But rooting out brutality is a better strategy than covering it up, and any nation should be proud to produce someone like Mukhtaran.

So while meeting the Pakistani president, Bush could discuss not only F-16s, but also repeal of the hudood laws. And Bush could invite Mukhtaran to the Oval Office as well, both to hail a genuine Pakistani hero and to spotlight the goals of ordinary Pakistanis --- not fighter aircraft but simple justice.

Comments – Mine

I do not know the accuracy of this report. We cannot expect the Western media to give a fair account of what goes on in Muslim countries & societies. Having said that we are getting disturbing news about the goings on in Pakistan. Be it corruption in higher offices, sectarian violence etc.

Maybe the Pakistani Members of this forum can kindly enlighten us of the actual situation in Pakistan with regard to the Hudud laws, women affairs, Non Muslim affairs etc. (Please, an objective assessment).

One thing we need to understand is that in western societies rape, incest, adultery, drug abuse etc are part & parcel of their way of life. The word adultery never crosses the mind of a westerner if he / she is sleeping around.

AB

"For to us will be their return; then it will be for us to call them to account." (Holy Quran 88:25-26)

Copyright © 2005 by AB

Those wishing to reproduce the above article are most welcome.

But please reproduce it in its entirety lest the message will get blurred.

Discover Yahoo!