Assaam alaikum,

There seems always to be a sense of purity in life. Whatever it is
that Allah Almighty decrees will be, of that there can be no doubt – a
lesson which I am reminded of on such a regular basis it makes me
question why it is that I feel so ungrateful for the many blessings
bestowed upon me.

My first trip to Prague some 10 days ago ended in disappointment as I
was unable to find the mosque in the center of town. Those who read my
mails will note my cynical remarks about the mosque yet, just 4 days
ago, my second trip to Prague everything changed.

Having finished dinner with a colleague as I returned to the hotel I
thought to detour to the area with the mosque. Step by step I managed
to walk straight into the mosque on the first floor of the shopping
mall – the flip opposite to my previous efforts. Partly stunned, I
made ablution and greeted the mosque with the cordial 2 rakaah prayer.

The mosque itself was simple. Part of the shopping mall, the unit can
be reached either by an upwardly spiraling staircase or by the central
mall staircase and elevator. Through the front door is an entrance
lobby with shoe racks to the left, two rooms for ablution ahead
directly ahead, two larger rooms constituting the main prayer hall and
what seemed to be another room for women separated by a closed door –
sigh yet another mosque slapping the face of the Prophet by separating
men and women in the prayer halls, will we ever learn?

Finishing the prayer of greeting the mosque I took to looking around
the prayer hall. Simple, carpeted, without a podium; looking up, the
ceiling was marked with some exquisite artwork and design
encapsulating much of the heritage which makes Prague Prague.

As I was caught in deep thought, a man stood up and made the call to
prayer. In that spot at that moment his near husky voice – very
similar to that of James Blunt (recent song You're beautiful) called
out the most welcoming call to prayer I have heard in months. Calm yet
powerful, his voice gave meaning to the hadith of the Prophet Muhammad
who said that on the day of judgment the people who make the call to
prayer, will have elongated necks. To be honest, I have no idea what
that means in its context though it is clearly a compliment, so I will
accept it as it is.

I sat listening with perhaps the widest smile on my face as thoughts
rushed through my mind. `My life is brilliant, my love is pure, I saw
an angel, of that I'm sure..' So begin the lyrics of James Blunt's
song. I found myself with two streams of thought in parallel. The
first track appreciated the purity and beauty of the call to prayer,
the second, contemplating life, my experiences, a chorus of
appreciation. It's like rubbing your belly and tapping your head at
the same time – you do both, you gain value for both even though both
are two very separate actions.

As we stood to pray we lined up side by side managing to complete the
first row between us. Midway through the second rakaahs, after surah
al-fatiha and the commencement of the follow-on surah, my phone rings
`You've got mail baby, yeah' in of course the Austin Powers voice.
Fidgeting with my phone to disable its sound, the rest of the prayer
completes without further disturbance.

Finishing the prayer I took to the back of the prayer hall to reply to
the text message when a man walks up to me. Pointing to himself he
glances at my little toy, part phone part PDA trying to figure out why
I was tapping the screen with a pen. The Czech republic isn't so far
behind in terms of technology, though as yet such phones aren't common
place today. Sadly at this time of night I also didn't have any of our
translators with me so we resorted to age old custom of sign language.
Pointing to his chest he says `Czech Musliman'. Eager to reciprocate,
I too don a wide faced smile point to my chest and say `British
Pakistani Muslim' – he is stumped and clearly has no understanding of
what British or Pakistani mean. I too am stumped knowing that this
conversation will go nowhere very fast, so we smile again at one
another and go our separate ways.

Perhaps there was a reason why I was unable to find Prague central
mosque on the previous occasion, I don't know, suffice to say that
when something is supposed to be hidden from us, no matter how hard we
look we will never see it unless by the Mercy of Allah. Similarly,
when Allah Almighty wants us to see something, we simply will not be
able to avoid seeing it.

There is a wisdom behind everything, whether we are able to perceive
it or not, and may Allah Almighty have mercy and make us content with
Allah's decree upon us all, amen.

fi amanillah, assalam alaikum, f

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links