Later it will be said, when they came to Afghanistan, they said we
will give you freedom and democracy, and they did, but they got the
land and oil in return.

gina

--- In islamcity@yahoogroups.com, Alan Border wrote:
> "When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had
the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened
them we had the Bible and they had the land." - Bishop Desmond Tutu

> Time to Talk to Al Qaeda?
>
> MOHAMMAD-MAHMOUD OULD MOHAMEDOU
>
> September 14, 2005

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/
09/14/time_to_talk_to_al_qaeda/

> AS THE WAR between the United States and Al Qaeda enters its fifth
year, the nature of the armed, transnational Islamist group's
campaign remains misunderstood. With the conflict viewed largely as
an open-and-shut matter of good versus evil, nonmilitary engagement
with Al Qaeda is depicted as improper and unnecessary.

> Yet developing a strategy for the next phase of the global response
to Al Qaeda requires understanding the enemy -- something Western
analysts have systematically failed to do. Sept. 11 was not an
unprovoked, gratuitous act. It was a military operation researched
and planned since at least 1996 and conducted by a trained commando
in the context of a war that had twice been declared officially and
publicly. The operation targeted two military locations and a
civilian facility regarded as the symbol of US economic and financial
power. The assault was the culmination of a larger campaign, which
forecast impact, planned for the enemy's reaction, and was designed
to gain the tactical upper hand.

> Overwhelmingly centered on the martial aspects of the conflict,
scholars and policymakers have been too focused on Al
Qaeda's ''irrationality," ''fundamentalism," and ''hatred" -- and
these conceptions continue to color key analyses. The sway of such
explanations is particularly surprising in the face of nonambiguous
statements made by Al Qaeda as to the main reasons for its war on the
United States. These have been offered consistently since 1996,
notably in the August 1996 and February 1998 declarations of war and
the November 2002 and October 2004 justifications for its
continuation.

> Since the attacks on New York and Washington, Osama bin Laden and
Ayman al-Zawahiri have delivered, respectively, 18 and 15 messages
via audio or videotape making a three-part case: The United States
must end its military presence in the Middle East, its uncritical
political support and military aid of Israel's occupation of
Palestinian territories, and its support of corrupt and coercive
regimes in the Arab and Muslim world.

> Al Qaeda believes that the citizens of the states with whom it is
at war bear a responsibility for the policies of their governments.
Such democratization of responsibility rests, it has been argued by
bin Laden, in the citizens' ability to elect and dismiss the
representatives who make foreign policy decisions on their behalf.

> Al Qaeda is an industrious, committed, and power-wielding
organization waging a political, limited, and evasive war of
attrition -- not a religious, open-ended, apocalyptic one. Over the
past year, it has struck private and public alliances, offered
truces, affected elections, and gained an international stature
beyond a mere security threat.

> It has implemented a clearly articulated policy, demonstrated
strategic operational flexibility, and skillfully conducted low-cost,
high-impact operations (Riyadh 1995, Dhahran 1996, Nairobi and Dar es
Salaam 1998, Yemen 2000, New York and Washington 2001, Bali 2002,
Istanbul 2003, Madrid 2004, and London 2005). Of late, this versatile
actor has exhibited an ability to operate amid heightened
international counter-measures.

> No longer able to enjoy a centralized sanctuary in Afghanistan
after 2002, Al Qaeda's leadership opted for an elastic defense
strategy relying on mobile forces, scaled-up international
operations, and expanded global tactical relationships. It encouraged
the proliferation of mini Al Qaedas, able to act on their own within
a regional context.

> Consequently, and aside from the war in Iraq, between 2002 and 2005
the United States and seven of its Western allies were the targets of
17 major attacks in 11 countries for a total of 760 people killed. In
2001, Ayman al-Zawahiri had explained the cost-effective rationale of
these measures, namely ''the need to inflict the maximum casualties
against the opponent, for this is the language understood by the
West, no matter how much time and effort such operations take." Last
month, he reiterated that commitment and announced new attacks
against the United States.

> How can the war be brought to an end? Neither side can defeat the
other. The United States will not be able to overpower a diffuse,
ever-mutating, organized international militancy movement, whose
struggle enjoys the rear-guard sympathy of large numbers of Muslims.
Likewise, Al Qaeda can score tactical victories on the United States
and its allies, but it cannot rout the world's sole superpower.

> Though dismissed widely, the best strategy for the United States
may well be to acknowledge and address the collective reasons in
which Al Qaeda anchors its acts of force. Al Qaeda has been true to
its word in announcing and implementing its strategy for over a
decade. It is likely to be true to its word in the future and cease
hostilities against the United States, and indeed bring an end to the
war it declared in 1996 and in 1998, in return for some degree of
satisfaction regarding its grievances. In 2002, bin Laden
declared: ''Whether America escalates or deescalates this conflict,
we will reply in kind."

> Mohammad-Mahmoud Ould Mohamedou is associate director of the
Program on Humanitarian Policy and Conflict Research at Harvard
University.

> © Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.
>

> AB
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> "For to us will be their return; then it will be for us to call
them to account." (Holy Quran 88:25-26)

> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! for Good
>  Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links