From: Bint ul Islam
Farewell, oh teenage!

By Nida Naseem Khokhar

I was sitting with my family having our evening tea in the veranda. It was raining heavily outside and everyone was enjoying it - everyone excluding me. I was oblivious of everything around me. A particular thought was lingering inside my head, successfully leaving me despondent. I had never been so scared in my life before. My life was going to take a new turn and I was not prepared for it. Oh! How badly I wished for the time to freeze. Alas! All of us have to go through this miserable phase in life, to become entitled as the 'grown ups', more precisely an adult. You see, not everyone wants to face his or her fears.

Saying farewell to teenage had been my worst nightmare. The very thought sent chills down my spine and left me confused, irritated, and angry. One exits a carefree life to enter into a life full of responsibilities and hard chores. Running away doesn't change it at all. Realising this, I decided bravely to cope with it and to my astonishment deduced following easy and effective solutions to overcome my anxiety.

The first step is to talk it over with someone you are close to and can trust; say your parents, buddies, teachers or any one with a good influence over you and is an understanding person. Open up your heart and speak out your feelings. You can also share your thoughts with your diary. It is very important to unlock the door to one's mind and give way to thoughts and emotions through a safe passage.

Secondly, analyse your self and don't make everything an issue. Growing up is not entirely about responsibilities or getting mature. It involves learning, new experiences, exploring opportunities, interacting with a huge variety of people, polishing your potentials as well as discovering wonderful facts about life and much more.

The difference between good and evil becomes visible, but to offset it there is the charm of becoming independent. C'mon it's fun to have a hold over your life whilst getting in touch with one's own decision-making capabilities.

Eventually, with time and experience one gains more wisdom. Those who are younger than you start looking up to you for advice and suggestions. The best part is that your parents are proud of the grown-up you.

The third step is to always stay positive and have an optimistic approach towards life. Focus on your goals. Be confident and trust in your Lord. Remember, He loves you and never wants bad things to happen to you. Try to be spiritually strong. Meditate; it relieves stress. Close your eyes, sit erect and relax. Take deep breaths, inhale through your nose as you do, imagine as if all the positive and good thoughts are going inside you. Next, hold your breath for a few seconds and exhale through your mouth imagining that all the negative thoughts are being exhaled. Try this for 10 to 15 minutes and then slowly open your eyes. You will feel much calm now.

The crux of the matter is to have faith in your self. You cannot control things around you if you do not have control over your self. Hey! Its not the end of the world, life has just begun. It's time to start working on making your dreams come true. People who love you shall always do, stepping out of teenage wouldn't change them or you. Almost every matter has pros and cons to it. The best way is to enjoy the zeal of practical life and make the most of every moment. All of you out there going through this post teen-age trauma, it's the time of your life, so live it well!

Holy quran