Respected Moderator and the Members of the list

Assalamu Alaikum

I have seen the letter of Mr. Fatemolla (please see below). He has raised
questions about 41 items from the Books of Hadith and from some Law Books,
particularly Shafii Fiqh. I do not know what really Mr. Fatemolla is trying
to achieve.

Most of the points referred to  are from Hadith Books. Anybody can go
through those Books of Hadith, read various explanations and background of
each of these Hadith, and find out the authenticity level of these Hadith,
other Hadith on these issues, conclusions of different jurists. Any one then
will find his answer.  Giving references to Hadiths in the manner given in
the letter of Mr. Molla does not serve the purpose of truth or Islam.

There are references of Shafii Fiqh in his letter at some places. I would
only say that these are only Ijtihad of Imam Shafii or some of his
followers, these are not agreed by other jurists necessarily and no body is
bound  to follow any particular juristic view.

I would not like to detail out in view of what I have said in para 2-3
above. I would only take up only first two items. As regards  item one, all
of us know that women are permitted to join all prayers and  are encouraged
to join some prayers and in fact large number of women attend mosques
throughout the world. As regards item two, I do not find anything wrong in
the Prophet's instruction to the women not to use perfume during visit to
the mosque, though I have not checked up various opinions in different Books
of Fiqh. Women are permitted to use perfume at all other places

If we examine all the points, the position wll be the same,  if we follow
the procedure mentioned in para graph 2. In Islamic Shariah, on balance and
taken together, women have a lofty and equitible position.In any event no
system including modern western system has given her such an honourable
position(reference books on gender issue by Dr. Qaradawi, Dr. Jamal Badawi,
Abdul Halim Abu Shukkah, Hasan Turabi, Hammudah Abdul Ati and others ).

I need not mention that any body who has gone through books of Islamic
Jurisprudence will find that whenever the texts are not clear or texts
differ, the interpretations through Ijtihad differ among the jurists.

With regards

Shah Abdul Hannan