Bismillah hir Rehman nir Rahim

‘Umrah during the Months of Hajj

Question #22658: Is it permissible to do ‘Umrah during the months of Hajj, on the basis that I will not do Hajj in the same year? For example, if I go to Makkah about half a month before Hajj, and I do the rituals of ‘Umrah, then I leave – is that permissible?.

Answer : Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to do ‘Umrah during the months of Hajj, and there is no difference of opinion amongst the scholars concerning that. And it makes no difference whether you intend to do Hajj in the same year or not.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did ‘Umrah four times, all of which were in the month of Dhu’l-Qi’dah, which is one of the months of Hajj, which are Shawwaal, Dhu’l-Qi’dah and Dhu’l-Hijjah. And he did not do Hajj except along with his last ‘Umrah, in the Farewell Pilgrimage.

Al-Bukhaari (4148) and Muslim (1253) narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did ‘Umrah four times, all of them in Dhu’l-Qi’dah except for the one which he did with his Hajj. His ‘Umrah from al-Hudaybiyah or at the time of al-Hudaybiyah was in Dhu’l-Qi’dah, his ‘Umrah in the following year was in Dhu’l-Qi’dah, his ‘Umrah from Ji’raanah when he divided the spoils of Hunayn was in Dhu’l-Qi’dah, and his ‘Umrah which he did with his Hajj (was also in Dhu’l-Qi’dah).”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary:

The conclusion we draw from the reports of Anas and Ibn ‘Umar is that they both indicate that (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) did four ‘Umrahs. The first was in Dhu’l-Qi’dah in the year of al-Hudaybiyah, 6 AH, when they were prevented from going further so they exited ihraam, but this was counted as an ‘Umrah for them. The second was in Dhu’l-Qid’ah in 7 AH, which was to make up for the previous year. The third was in Dhu’l-Qi’dah of 8 AH, which was the year of the Conquest (of Makkah). And the fourth was with his Hajj, when he entered ihraam for it in Dhu’l-Qi’dah but did the actions of ‘Umrah in Dhu’l-Hijjah.

And he said:

The scholars said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did ‘Umrah in Dhu’l-Qi’dah because of the virtue of this month and to go against the ideas of the Jaahiliyyah, because they used to think that this was one of the worst of evil actions. So he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did it many times in these months to make it explicitly clear that this was permissible and to demonstrate clearly that the beliefs of the Jaahiliyyah were false. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Hajj is not obligatory for a person who does ‘Umrah during the months of Hajj

Question #42507:  Before the begining of the month of Haj, I did my umrah before the month of Haj, some one told me that Haj is wajeeb on me now , although I have already did haj 2 years back, please clarify the same?.

Answer : Praise be to Allaah.

What this person told you is not correct, because Hajj is only obligatory once in a lifetime, because of the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas, which says that al-Aqra’ ibn Haabis asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “O Messenger of Allaah, is Hajj (to be done) every year or only once?” He said: “One once, and whoever does more than that, it is a voluntary (act of worship).” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1721; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

Since you did Hajj before that, then you do not have to do Hajj again.

There are three months of Hajj: Shawwaal, Dhu’l-Qi’dah and Dhu’l-Hijjah. Perhaps this person understood from the fact that they are called the months of Hajj that whoever does ‘Umrah during these months is obliged to do Hajj. But this is incorrect, rather the reason why they are called the months of Hajj is that Hajj must happen during these months, not before or after them.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about a man who did Hajj tamattu’, then after doing ‘Umrah he went back to his city and did not do Hajj – does he have to do anything (offer any expiation or ransom)?

He replied: You do not have to do anything, because if a person is doing Hajj tamattu’ and enters ihraam for ‘umrah, then decides not to do Hajj before he enters ihraam for Hajj, then he does not have to offer any expiation or ransom, unless he vowed to do Hajj this year. If he made such a vow then he is obliged to fulfil his vow. [Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/679.]

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)