JZAK

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hind Rifai
Date: Dec 29, 2005 5:36 AM

Salaam all,

Nafari's book - "Mawaqef wa Mukhatabat"- "Considerations and dialogs"
is a unique contribution in the history of Tawheed- The origins of the
book and its author remain somewhat mysterious.
It was probably written in the first half of the 4th Hijra century in Syria-
The author is most likely Muhammad ibn Abd- Allah Nafari, although the
book has been attributed traditionally to his grandson Abd al-Jabbar-
Multiple interpretations and elucidations of this book have been
written over the centuries, Ibn Arabi himself referred to the book 6
times in his "Meccan Revelations". The 20th century has witnessed a
renewed interest in the book on the part of Arab literary figures like
the Syrian Poet and Nobel Prize nominee Adonis-
In the late 1930's, Arthur J. Arberry facilitated the book's reissue
in Arabic and wrote an English introduction for it.

In a restrained but passionate language, Nafari approaches the subject
of Tawheed from different viewpoints through imaginary dialogs,
between the worshiper and the Creator, that are most often based on
Qur'anic concepts and Ahadith-

 Hind.

In the following excerpt, the sea is an allegory for life in this world-

Consider the sea

He stopped me to consider the sea:

I saw the vessels sink and the planks stay afloat; eventually, the
planks did also sink.

He said to me:
"He who rides [a vessel] is not safe.
He who throws himself [in the sea] and does not ride [a vessel] is
taking a risk.
He who rides [a vessel] and does not take a risk will reach perdition."

He said to me:
" A part of salvation is the taking of risk. The waves come, lift what
lies underneath them and spread it and themselves leisurely on the
shore."

He said to me:
" The surface of the sea is Luminosity, the source of which cannot be
reached; the bottom of the sea is Darkness, indomitable. Between
luminosity and darkness live the beasts of the sea that cannot be
trusted/ with whom there is no safety."

He said to me:
" Do not ride [a vessel] in the sea, I would then veil you from Me
through the instrument [the vessel]; and do not throw yourself in the
sea, I would then veil you from Me through the sea itself."

He said to me:
" In the sea are barriers any of which can limit/confine you."

He said to me:
"If you give yourself to the sea and drown in it, then you are nothing
but another one of the beasts of the sea".

He said to me:
" I would be cheating you, if I were ever to direct you/show you
evidence for other than me."

He said to me:
"If you die/ reach perdition in the pursuit of other than me, you will
be delivered to what you died/reached perdition for."

He said to me:
"This world (al-Dunya) belongs to the one whom I distracted from it;
the afterworld (al-Akhira) belongs to the one I approached through it
and brought him to Myself.

 -------------------------------------
From the original Arabic by Aicha Hind Rifai – with the grace of Allah-

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links