Hezbollah Leader to Bush: 'Shut Up'
By SAM F. GHATTAS
Associated Press
February 9, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_re_mi_ea/prophet_drawings_145

BEIRUT, Lebanon - The leader of Hezbollah, heading a march by hundreds
of thousands of Shiite Muslims Thursday, said President Bush and his
secretary of state should "shut up" after they accused Syria and Iran
of fueling protests over cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Denmark, meanwhile, said it had temporarily closed its diplomatic
mission in Beirut, which was burned by protesters Sunday, and all
staff had left Lebanon.

Danes feared religious processions in Muslim countries Thursday to
mark the Shiite festival of Ashoura would spill over into violence
against its diplomats and soldiers after days of protests over the
caricatures, which were first published in a Danish newspaper in
September.

About 2,000 hard-line Muslims also rallied and burned a Danish flag
Thursday in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka.

In Beirut, Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah urged Muslims
worldwide to keep demonstrating until there is an apology over the
drawings and Europe passes laws forbidding insults to the prophet.

The head of the guerrilla group, which is backed by Iran and Syria,
spoke before a mass Ashoura procession. Whipping up the crowds on the
most solemn day for Shiites worldwide, Nasrallah declared:

"Defending the prophet should continue all over the world. Let
Condoleezza Rice and Bush and all the tyrants shut up. We are an
Islamic nation that cannot tolerate, be silent or be lax when they
insult our prophet and sanctities."

"We will uphold the messenger of God not only by our voices but also
by our blood," he told the crowds, estimated by organizers at about
700,000. Police had no final estimates but said the figure was likely
to be even higher.

Speaking about the controversy for the first time on Wednesday, Bush
condemned the deadly rioting sparked by the cartoons and urged foreign
leaders to halt the spreading violence. Rice said Iran and Syria "have
gone out of their way to inflame sentiments and to use this to their
own purposes. And the world ought to call them on it."

Iran has rejected the U.S. accusations. Syria has not commented publicly.

In protests throughout the Muslim world, demonstrators who saw the
drawings as deeply insulting to Islam have attacked embassies in
Syria, Lebanon and Iran and rioted in
Afghanistan. Islam is interpreted to forbid any illustrations of the
prophet.

Jyllands-Posten, the Danish paper that first published the drawings,
apologized last week for offending Muslims but stood by its decision
to print the cartoons, citing freedom of speech.

Other European publications recently reprinted the drawings, which
included an image of Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped with a burning
fuse, in a show of solidarity.

Denmark's government has said it could not apologize over a
newspaper's publication.

In Brussels, Belgium, Mohamed Ahmed Sherif, chairman of the
Libyan-based World Islamic Call Society, said Muslims see the drawings
as a direct attack on their values and called the decision to print
them in European newspapers a "hate program."

Sherif, speaking during a visit Brussels where he met European Union
officials, said the cartoons only serve to fuel extremism.

"Nobody should blame the Muslims if they are unhappy about the images
of the Prophet Muhammad," Sherif said. "It's forbidden to create a
hate program to show that the prophet is a terrorist while he's not.
Don't ask us to try to make people understand that this is not a
campaign of hate."

Nasrallah, a black-turbaned, bearded cleric, demanded an apology for
the cartoons and laws to prevent a repetition.

"There can be no settlement before an apology and there can be no
settlement before laws are legislated by the European Parliament and
the parliaments of European countries," he said.

Islamic nations should demand "a law committing the press and the
media in the West that proscribes insulting our prophet. If this
matter cannot be achieved that means they (West) insist on continuing
this," he added.

Nasrallah said that if the controversy touched on Jews or Israel the
West would have reacted differently and quickly.

In Denmark, the Danish Broadcasting Corp., or DR, said its journalists
in Beirut had been warned to stay away from the Shiite Ashoura
ceremonies. "It has become more difficult to be a Danish reporter in
the Middle East," Lisbet Knudsen, head of DR's news desk said.

The Bangladeshi protesters — most members of the hard-line group,
Islamic Constitution Movement — marched through the streets outside
the country's main mosque in downtown Dhaka shouting, "Down with
Islam's Enemies!" police said.

"We can't tolerate such disrespect to our prophet. It's a shameful
act. We condemn it," A.T.M. Hemayetuddin, a movement leader, told
supporters.

In the capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir, about 200 people turned
an Islamic procession into a protest against the prophet drawings,
shouting "Down with Denmark" and "Down with Israel." Senior
Superintendent of Police Muneer Khan said 25 people were arrested as
police beat back angry demonstrators.

Malaysia's government Thursday indefinitely shut down a local
newspaper for reprinting one of the drawings.

___

Associated Press reporters Julhas Alamm in Dhaka, Bangladesh; Jan M.
Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark; Mujtaba Ali Ahmad in Srinigar, India and
Eileen Ng in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_re_mi_ea/prophet_drawings_145

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links