Statement of Concern by people in Europe and around the world who support Burma's democratic struggle

According to the existing EU Common Position, all high-ranking Burmese government and military officials are banned from travelling to Europe, but the European Union is trying to find a way to allow participation of Burmese ministers and high-ranking military officials in the various ASEM/ARF meetings to be held in Europe in 2006.

It seems that the EU Common Position is softening, despite the empty promises and manoeuvring tactics of the military regime.

Do you think that the E.U's softly approach can really persuade the stubborn generals to make democratic changes?

We are all aware that our comrades in our motherland are being seriously persecuted by the notorious military regime with intention to maintain their grip on power by systematically dismantling the National League for Democracy and eliminating the ethic groups withihin the target time. As our country people are in fear and distressed, we are the only responsible ones who can freely perform the national duties to achieve our goals.

Here we urge the European Coouncil of Ministers to grant no exemption from the visa ban for the Burmese ministers and military officials to attend the ARF and ASEM meetings in Europe, unless an accountable government is in place; and the EU Common Position on Burma be strengthened instead, especially sanctions on oil and gas sector.

Please tell us your points of view HEREhttp://burmadigest.wordpress.com/petition/  )

Best regards,
Burma Digest