Healthy Living TAUGHT BY THE PROPHET

  Health is the most important aspect of human life; without it we cannot function well. Today we have made material progress and technological advancement, but the world is widespread with an increasing number of diseases. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us many aspects of healthy living which Allah ordered him to teach mankind. He himself enjoyed good health.

The Prophet (peace be upon him)) prescribed black seeds (habbas-sawda), which he said is a cure for all diseases except death. It is true that if we take a few black seeds in the morning we are protected from many diseases - to mention only a few: coughs, colds, arthritis, nausea, constipation etc. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said olive oil is a cure for many diseases which is quite true as has been proved by medical standards. One tbsp. of olive oil daily in the morning overcomes pains in the joints and lessens the risk of heart attack. In the Qur an Allah prescribed honey as a cure for mankind, which is so true. If we take honey at breakfast we are protected from many diseases, for example, coughs, colds, asthma and depression etc. We should make sure the honey is pure. If we apply it to our eyes we do not need glasses.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) regularly ate dates, which has been proved by medical standards to contain all the nutrients of a well-balanced diet. It is very energizing as well, and we know from the Prophet Muhammad s life that he was always energetic. He relished goat s milk, which is very low in fat and is a cure for many diseases. Moreover he was very fond of all milk, drank himself and presented to others. Drinking milk reduces the risk of heart attacks as has been established by medical standards. He used to put honey in it and drink it which too is very energizing. Then he didn t have milk, he used to put honey in water and drink it which is also very energizing.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) prohibited the intake of pork as enjoined by Allah, as it is not healthy to eat its meat because it feeds on dirt which causes many diseases. In the Qur an it is also forbidden to use intoxicants which are not healthy as has been proved by medical standards. Even occasional drinking of wine causes migraine headaches.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) recommended using the miswak regularly, which keeps the teeth and gums clean and healthy. It is a cure for thyroid problems too, if we use it in the interior teeth and gums.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) recommended sleeping early, night after Ishaa prayer, as early night sleep promotes health. He enjoined us to wake up early, as the early morning sunlight is beneficial for health and cures many diseases. He also advised to rest in the afternoon after lunch, which refreshes us and now most workers in the U.S.A. are demanding break in the afternoon for short naps as they say the Mediterranean naps refresh them and they have a better input to continue work instead of increase in wages.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us to wash after relieving oneself, which protects us from many diseases. He also ordered use left hand for washing afterwards since it protects us from becoming a carrier of many diseases. He recommended clipping the nails, which also keeps us from becoming a carrier of many diseases.

If we follow all the above mentioned recommendations we can lead more healthy lives, which will be very fulfilling for us and the people around us, as was practiced and enjoined by Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Cleanliness and personal hygiene was taught and practiced by the Prophet (peace be upon him). He taught us to clean our teeth and wash ourselves by performing ablution before prayers, which protects us from many diseases. Cataract of the eyes develops due to air pollution, so doctors recommend washing the eyes after exposure from outside or workplaces to avoid cataract from developing. If we follow all these health points preached and practiced by the Prophet (peace be upon him), we can lead more healthy and fruitful lives.

  Compiled from various sources.

Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on

Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in not-for-profit publications.

Note that an English translation of the Qur'an is an interpretation of the Qur'an, and does not have the perfect status as the Qur'an in its original Arabic form.

Holy quran