The Crime of Being a Muslim Charity

The Treasury Department is playing target practice
with American Muslim charities. On Feb. 19 Treasury
seized the assets and froze the operations of
KindHearts, a Toledo-based humanitarian organization,
acting on the dubious allegation that it is financing
terrorism. Someone from Treasury once told us, "There
are folks here who look at you guys like notches on
their belts . . . just waiting to take the next one
out."

Unfortunately, those of us in the American Muslim
community who want to give to legitimate causes in a
lawful manner are getting mixed messages from the U.S.
government. We are told that if we conduct due
diligence and function transparently, we should be
able to give to charities of our choice. Then the
government closes most of these charities, using the
weakest of evidence to support its actions and leading
many American Muslims to believe that our government
opposes efforts to help needy Muslims around the
world. Moreover, the arbitrary freezing of assets
ensures that the money will never reach the
destination intended by the donors -- the truly
indigent. The government has consistently denied
requests to have the frozen funds released to
reputable organizations (that are not on any lists)
doing similar work so that the donors' intentions are
honored.

Under the USA Patriot Act, the U.S. government is
authorized to close down a charity while an
investigation is going on. The government is under no
obligation to reveal the evidence used to justify the
seizure of assets and the designation of the charity
as a "specially designated national," i.e. a bad guy
on the list of suspected terrorists issued by the
Treasury Department.

The organization can file an appeal, but as was noted
in a recent paper titled "Muslim Charities and the War
on Terror" by the organization OMBWatch, "appealing
Treasury actions to the federal courts is relatively
useless, as the court's scope of review is very
limited."

Since Sept. 11, 2001, six American Muslim charities
have been shuttered in this fashion. The government
still doesn't have a single terrorism conviction
against any of the employees or board members of any
of those charities. Similarly, the government has
never been able to document a bona fide trail showing
how money from the charity got into the hands of
actual terrorists. Never.

We believe it is possible to provide sustenance to
people in need without supporting terrorism. But the
message we are hearing is this: "All Muslims are
suspected of supporting terrorism. Your charities are
guilty of this crime until proven innocent. But don't
bother trying to prove your innocence because you
won't have the chance." The government has not taken
action against a single non-Muslim charity that works
in the same region helping to feed, educate and
sustain people who had also received assistance from
the Muslim charities accused of financing terrorism.

We are among those American Muslims who decided that
because it is our right as Americans to fulfill our
religious obligation to help the needy both here and
abroad, we would start a new charity. We did so in
2002 and have experienced our fair share of government
harassment as a result.

None of us is interested in engaging in illegal
activity; it is immoral, unethical and un-Islamic, and
it serves no useful purpose whatever. Our crime is
that we care about what happens to the children of
Palestine. Who knows what price we will have to pay
for our hot-breakfast program for hungry kids in Gaza,
for our playground project in the West Bank, for our
psychosocial trauma center in Hebron.

Under former attorney general John Ashcroft, American
Muslim charities were closed as part of the charade to
make the American people believe the government was
disrupting terrorist financing. Today, under Alberto
Gonzales, the message is that Muslim Americans will be
punished if they want to help Palestinians. Either way
the assault on our charities is not about the safety
and security of the American people but about
politics.

By Laila al-Marayati and Basil Abdelkarim
Washingtom Post, Sunday, March 12, 2006; Page B07

The writers, both physicians, are board members of
KinderUSA, a Muslim American nonprofit humanitarian
organization.

Holy quran