Islamic Human Rights Commission

Action Alert: Protestors to wear T-shirts with Muhammad Cartoons at Rally
this Saturday

IHRC urges all campaigners to contact the Metropolitan Police and the
Mayor's office to request that they uphold the law and prohibit
demonstrators from carrying Islamophobic placards and t-shirts at a 'March
for Free Expression' this Saturday 25 March 2006.

1. Background

A 'March for Free Expression' is to take place this Saturday 25 March 2006
in Trafalgar Square between 2 and 4 pm. The official purpose of the
demonstration is stated to be to support freedom of expression but in
reality, it appears to be virulently Islamophobic and racist in nature.

The organisers, Peter Risden and Patrick Vidaud, have permitted
demonstrators to wear t-shirts bearing the offensive cartoons of the Prophet
Muhammad (pbuh) and even supply a link on their website to another website
where such t-shirts can be purchased. Furthermore, slogans which are being
debated to be written on placards include, 'Islam, putting the world at
war', 'Islam is a blast', Muhammad was a Sex Offender' and 'Death to Iran'.
It is noteworthy that Muslim demonstrators were arrested earlier this month
for carrying placards deemed offensive.

In addition, Nick Cohen, in an article in the Observer on 19 March labelled
Muslims who demonstrated against the cartoons as "the brown far right" and
"Islamic fundamentalists" demonizing all Muslims as Nazis and fascists when
it is actually Muslims who are the current victims of this neo-fascism.

Although ostensibly the organisers have stated that the BNP are not welcome,
there is much evidence to indicate that many elements of the Far Right will
be present on the day. For example, a fascist group 'Civil Liberty', which
is lead by BNP North-East organiser Kevin Scott, has issued a call on its
website for its supporters to attend the march.

It is worrying that an event that appeals to the Islamophobic right is also
supported by amongst others British Humanist Association, Ekllesia (a
Christian monitoring group), the National Secular Society, UKIP, and Peter
Tatchell.  This event will set a dangerous precedent will be set whereby
Islamophobic groups can use the issue of civil liberties as an excuse to
demonise Muslims and Islam.   This is not free speech or debate; this is
vilification akin to the demonisation of Jews in Nazi Germany.

For more information about the march, its organisers and supporters, please
visit

http://marchforfreeexpression.blogspot.com/

2. Suggested Action

Earlier this month, Muslim demonstrators were arrested for carrying
offensive and provocative placards protesting the publication of the
cartoons. IHRC is asking campaigners to contact the Metropolitan Police and
the Mayor's Office and ask that the law be implemented equally and that any
demonstrators holding offensive and provocative placards and t-shirts be
similarly arrested.

Sir Ian Blair
Chief Commissioner of Metropolitan Police
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London SW1H 0BG

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please also contact the Mayor's Office to make him aware that this
demonstration is not about freedom of expression but vilification and hatred
of Islam and Muslims. It is unthinkable that demonstrators would ever be
given permission to use Trafalgar Square to display anti-Semitic or racist
caricatures and rightly so. This seems to be further evidence that Muslims
have become second-class citizens in Britain today.

Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
More London
London SE1 2AA

Telephone: 020 7983 4100
Fax: 020 7983 4057
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IHRC urges campaigners to write their own letters. Sample letters are pasted
below for your convenience. Please CC all letters to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so we
can
keep track of the number of complaints lodged.

                         [Your Name]
                         [Your Address]

                         [Date]

Sir Ian Blair
Chief Commissioner of Metropolitan Police
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London SW1H 0BG

Dear Mr. Blair:

RE: Islamophobic Demonstration on 25 March 2006

I am writing with deep concern about the forthcoming 'March for Free
Expression' in Trafalgar Square on 25 March 2006. Although I have no issue
with the march itself taking place, I am very worried about the nature of
the march and the level of Islamophobia it will fuel.

The organisers have permitted demonstrators to wear t-shirts bearing the
offensive cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and even supply a link on
their website to another website where such t-shirts can be purchased.
Furthermore, slogans which are being debated to be written on placards
include, 'Islam, putting the world at war', 'Islam is a blast', 'Muhammad
was a sex offender' and 'Death to Iran'.

My concern is that this march will be very provocative and disturb the peace
as it will promote Islamophobia and racism. Many elements of the Far Right
will be present on the day, including 'Civil Liberty', a fascist group lead
by BNP North-East organiser Kevin Scott. Other supporting groups include the
British Humanist Association, Third Way Magazine, the National Secular
Society, UKIP, and Peter Tatchell.

In light of the recent arrests of Muslim demonstrators for carrying
offensive provocative placards, I think the police should implement the law
equally and not allow such offences to be committed by any demonstrators. If
demonstrators carry banners and t-shirts with cartoons depicting the Prophet
Muhammad (pbuh) on Saturday, they should be similarly arrested.  Otherwise,
the perception will remain that Muslims are mere second-class citizens in
Britain.

For more information about the march, its organisers and supporters, please
visit http://marchforfreeexpression.blogspot.com/

I look forward to hearing from you soon about this urgent matter.

Yours Sincerely,

___________________

[Your Name]

                                             [Your Name]
                             [Your Address]

                             [Date]

Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
More London
London SE1 2AA

Dear Mr. Linvingstone:

[...]

I am also appalled that Trafalgar Square will be used as an arena where such
virulent Islamophobia and racism can be propagated. I do not believe that a
demonstration at which protestors would hold placards and wear t-shirts with
racist or anti-Semitic caricatures would ever be granted permission, and
rightly so. Why is there a different law for Muslims?

For more information about the march, its organisers and supporters, please
visit http://marchforfreeexpression.blogspot.com/

I look forward to hearing from you soon about this urgent matter.

Yours Sincerely,

___________________

[Your Name]

Islamic Human Rights Commission
PO Box 598
Wembley
HA9 7XH
United Kingdom

Telephone (+44) 20 8904 4222
Fax (+44) 20 8904 5183
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.ihrc.org

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links