AA,

In the last few days, I have seen a few debates about celebrating or not celebrating our Prophet's birthday. Here are some thoughts.

CELEBRATING OUR PROPHET'S BIRTHDAY

The greatness of our prophet comes from the fact that he believed in humility, he believed in Allahu Akbar and practiced that Allah only is great.

Any one in his capacity would have had a bloated ego and would have rejoiced his statute and pictures hung in every corner of his world. He was God's messenger, he knew these things were mortal, and the best way to communicate to the world was practicing it to the point of asking people to not even paint his portrait. He lived a model life to follow. Allah is great, we are mortals and need to submit to Allah, meaning "fana-ing" the ego which is the root cause of all evil. Alhamdu Lillah, Muslims have honored his request.

Our prophet understood human nature well, and knew well that if he did not make a point, people would have made his tomb an object of worship. So he said that he be buried in an un-marked grave, from Allah we come and to Allah we go. However as a respect to him, we humans have built a tomb, but kept his wish intact: that we worship Allah alone. No Muslim that I know worships our prophet.

Our prophet's greatness comes from the fact that he did not want people to idolize him and lose track of Allah. He avoided birthday celebration for that very fact, lest people go astray. Thanks to Allah, we have followed his wish by not worshipping him.

However, it is our privilege to honor our prophet, he brought the rahmat to the world and we need to celebrate that. It is a way to honor him for helping us stay focused on God. We would also respect those who follow his word literally and choose not to celebrate. Both practices ought to be respected and that's what our prophet would love - for the community to be together with differences.

There are several places you can go to celebrate, including going to the mosque and praying for a better world.

Mike Mohamed Ghouse

Holy quran