---

Laura Bush keeps Easter egg roll open to all
Deb Price
Monday, April 03, 2006
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060403/OPINION03/604030313/1008/OPINION01

If she absolutely had to pick her very favorite part
of her new Easter outfit, Ella Surkis Gillespie would
point to the purple ribbons on her yellow dress.

For the 3-year-old, Easter can't come fast enough. She
is hoping to be among the lucky youngsters in the
annual White House Easter egg roll.

And, thanks to some pretty impressive advance planning
by her two mommies, Colleen Gillespie and Alisa Surkis
of Brooklyn, N.Y., Ella won't be the only child with
gay parents who'll be scooting a colorful egg with a
spoon on the White House lawn.

"As a parent, you want everything for your child,"
says Colleen Gillespie. "We want this event to tell
our daughter that she is as welcome on the White House
lawn as any other kid in the world."

It turns out, First Lady Laura Bush agrees.

"Mrs. Bush is the overseer of the event, and all
families are welcome to attend," her spokesman Peter
Watkins told me when asked about the hundreds of gay
families who hope to roll eggs April 17.

So far, 250 gay families plan to go. (Connect with
them at familypride.org.) Everyone will begin lining
up on Friday night, April 14, for tickets handed out
the next morning. (All families must include someone
under 8.) At the Monday roll, gay parents and their
kids will wear rainbow leis.

The idea for gay families to attend dates from January
2005, when Education Secretary Margaret Spellings went
bananas over the kids' TV show "Postcards from Buster"
because Buster the Bunny met a Vermont child with two
mommies. In an act of cowardice, PBS didn't distribute
the episode nationally.

Colleen Gillespie was outraged that the head of public
education had acted as if gay families were
unmentionable. Suddenly, Gillespie thought of taking
Ella to the egg roll: "We would participate in this
big historic family event on the White House lawn as a
way of claiming our place."

Ella and her moms got rained out last year. The moms
then called the Family Pride Coalition to urge gay
parents from all over the country to attend this year.

Gillespie says, "We continue to hear politicians using
our families as ways to score political points. We
figured if we could get 100 or 200 gay families at the
egg roll, Middle America could get a chance to see
us."

Egg rolling at the White House dates back to 1878,
when a band of unstoppable kids was turned away from
the Capitol.

"A child whose identity is unknown rallied the egg
rollers and led them in a march on the White House.
Here the children were granted permission by President
Hayes to continue their frolic," a 1960 press release
notes. World War II halted the custom. Mamie
Eisenhower revived it in 1953.

When Eisenhower noticed black children looking through
the gates as white kids rolled eggs, she declared all
kids would be welcome in 1954.

Laura Bush should be applauded for keeping the welcome
mat out.

Her mother-in-law, Barbara Bush, also quietly
countered anti-gay hostility -- by visiting AIDS
babies and writing in 1990 to Paulette Goodman of
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays: "I
firmly believe that we cannot tolerate discrimination
against any individuals or groups in our country."

Wholesome American families come in as many shades and
varieties as Easter eggs. Long may they roll!

Reach Deb Price at (202) 662-8736 or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060403/OPINION03/604030313/1008/OPINION01

http://mail.yahoo.com

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links