People of the Book    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  The term People of the Book (Hebrew עם
הספר, Am HaSefer) is used in Judaism where it refers
specifically to the Jewish people and the Torah.

  The People of the Book (Arabic: أهل
الكتاب‎ Ahl al- Kitâb) is a term in
Islam for peoples who, according to the Qur'an, have received divine scriptures
— generally interpreted to refer to the Tawrat (the Torah) and Injil (the
Gospel).

  Application of term in Islam

  In Islam, the term applies to monotheistic Abrahamic religions older than
Islam which received revelation(s) (hence "book") from God. To orthodox Muslims
this includes at least all Christians, Jews (including Karaites and
Samaritans), and "Sabians" (identified with Mandaeans). Many early scholars
such as Malik Ibn Anas agree in also including Zoroastrians, while some have
argued for extending the concept further. There is a verse in the Qur'an that
says, "Those who follow the Jewish and the Sabi'een, Christians, Magians and
Polythesists — Allah will judge them On the Day of Judgement:" Quran 22:17. The
Magians were in fact followers of Zoroastrianism and because they are
specifically mentioned alongside other people of the book and before
polytheists this may mean that Zoroastrians are People of the Book. Although
Baha'is follow a revealed, scriptural religion, their faith developed after the
advent of Islam, so while they accept Muhammad, they are not categorizable into
 the traditional dhimmi grouping (of pre-Islamic Faiths), but are instead
believed to be subject to the fate of Dar al Harb--the pagan world--and have
been badly persecuted by Muslim regimes, most notably Iran.

  Qur'an  There are many statements in the Qur'an that promote tolerance
towards People of The Book. For example:

   And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best,
except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has
been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and
to Him do we submit. 29:46
  There are also many statements that promote an adversarial relationship. For
example:

   Fight those who believe not in God nor the Last Day, nor hold forbidden that
which hath been forbidden by God and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the
religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay
the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. 9:29

   O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for
friends/protecters; they are friends/protecters of each other; and whoever
amongst you takes them for a friend/protecter, then surely he is one of them;
surely God does not guide the unjust people. 5:51

   And ye know of those of you who broke the Sabbath, how We said unto them: Be
ye apes, despised and hated! 2:65

   And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to God) it will not
be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter. 3:85
  In other places the Qur'an says:

   Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for
the right, they recite the Verses of God during the hours of the night,
prostrating themselves in prayer. They believe in God and the Last Day; they
enjoin Al-Ma'rûf and forbid Al-Munkar ; and they hasten in (all) good works;
and they are among the righteous. And whatever good they do, nothing will be
rejected of them; for God knows well those who are Al-Muttaqûn .(3:113-115)

   And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture (Jews and
Christians), those who believe in God and in that which has been revealed to
you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before
God. They do not sell the Verses of God for a little price, for them is a
reward with their Lord. Surely, God is Swift in account. '(3:199)'

   Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and
Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds
shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall
they grieve . 2:62

   Say (O Muhammad ): "O people of the Scripture : Come to a word that is just
between us and you, that we worship none but God, and that we associate no
partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides God.
3:64
  Throughout Islamic history, Muslims have used these ayah (verses) to justify
a variety of positions towards non-Muslims. In some places and times, Muslims
showed a great deal of tolerance towards non-Muslims; in other places and times
non-Muslims were treated as enemies and persecuted. Islamic law demands that
Muslims treat Jews and Christians as dhimmis, second-class protected citizens
who have a limited number of rights.

  Similarities in belief  The various faiths of the People of the Book share
several qualities:

   They practice Tawheed (monotheism).
   They share some of the same prophets, such as Moses.
   They recognize life after death, judgement, heaven, and angels, and have
many similar eschatological beliefs that according to some scholars are due to
the influences of Zoroastrianism.
   They share similar beliefs regarding the Creation, specifically, in the
lives of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

  Islamic law  When non-Muslim People of the Book live in an Islamic nation
under Sharia law, they become dhimmis. They are given a number of rights, such
as the right to freely practice their faith in private, in return for state
protection, and exemption from military service. They also have some
responsibilities, such as the payment of a special tax called jizyah ("poll
tax"), but they are exempted from Zakat which Muslims are required to pay.
People of the Book living in non-Islamic nations are not considered dhimmi.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_the_Book

  "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and
our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit."

                            Mr. Afred Alexander  "Flipzi"  Marasigan

  "People don't care what we know until they know we care."

    http://pdff.sytes.net