From:Ibrahim Hayani
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 03:25:30
To:eGroup For Muslims Around The World <islamcity@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Boycott Israel [IslamCity] Netherlands: Islamic teacher sacked
 over hand shake

[EMAIL PROTECTED]: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> senecacollege.ca wrote:

Netherlands: Islamic teacher sacked over hand shake
http://www.expatica: <http://www.expatica.com/actual/artic...story_id=35223>
.com/actual/artic...story_id=35223

AMSTERDAM — A Utrecht school wants to sack a female Muslim teacher who refused
to shake hands with men.

The Vader Rijn College has sent the teacher a letter of dismissal, breaching an
advisory ruling urging against the teacher's sacking.

The teacher had earlier been suspended after she refused to shake hands with
men last summer. The woman citied religious beliefs for her decision, despite
the fact she had previously shaken hands with men.

The director of the vocational VMBO school said the Islamic teacher gave a bad
example to students.The Equal Treatment Commission recently issued an advisory
ruling granting the teacher the right to refuse a hand shake.It said the
Utrecht school should not sack her for this reason alone.

Comment:

If refusing to shake hands with the opposite sex means that Muslims give a bad
example to students then does that mean that we have to participate in
Christmas celebrations, go to parties and free-mix, dance and drink alcohol?

Europe is supposed to be a place where people come fleeing persecution because
of its history of tollerance and a place where u can practice your religion and
express alternative ideas and opinions without fear.

But in recent years Europe is on its way to becoming a place where only the
Secular viewpoint is tollerated and any view based upon religion and especially
Islam is clamped down upon.

So we see that the western civilisation is in conflict, not with Islam but with
its own philosophy, what is Secularism and what is the implementation of it?
Should this woman be sacked or should she not be sacked? This is the dilemma
the Secularists are facing as can be seen from the article.

 Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger:
<http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com> .yahoo.com Dear Brothers & Sisters:

 Permit me to say that the sister who has refused to shake hands with men,
citing "religious beliefs for her decision" has, in effect, done a great deal
of injustice (and damage" to herself as well as to her Islamic faith. It is
unfortunate, indeed tragic, that by engaging in such trivial and childish
activities, some Muslims (like this sister) have managed to trivialize Islam
itself. You cannot serve Islam by engaging in "bad manner," and refusing to
shake hands is a form of bad manner. I fail to understand what this sister as
well as other Muslims who behave like her are trying to prove?  Surely there
are much, much better ways of projecting modesty and/or virtuosity. In this
respect, I would strongly recommend Karen Armstrong's latest book entitled
MUHAMMAD: A PROPHET FOR OUR TIME. I am almost certain that the Holy Prophet
would not have approved the sister's action. Islam is too magnificent to be
trivialized like this!

 Regards,

 Ibrahim Hayani

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.} (Holy
Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

Recommended:
http://www.ikhwanweb.com
http://www.islamonline.net
http://www.islam-guide.com
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional