"Shias Should STOP Hurling Insults at the Companions of Prophet Muhammad (saws)
& His Wives While Sunnis Should STOP Calling Shias Infidels." - Ayatollah
al-Taskhiri
  The Shiite & Sunni Muslims — Dilemma For A New Muslim

  http://ourdialogue.com/answers/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=1114

  Question
  I have been visiting a website, which provides much good information about
prophets and stories for children, which is my main interest. However, I
recently discovered that the website is operated by a Shiite organization. As I
am a recent convert to Islam, I would like to know whether there are major
differences of principle between the Shiite and the Sunni Islam. How much
discrepancy is there in Shiite and Sunni versions of Islamic history, at least
up to the ProphetÂ’s death?

  Answer
  The essential difference between the Shiite and the Sunni Muslim has
political roots. Originally, it had nothing to do with beliefs. However, the
differences were later given a religious cover as normally happens in such
splits to ensure continuity. When such an attempt of clothing politics with
religion takes place, some twisting of the meaning of texts may be introduced
to justify certain attitudes. Over time, there could be some inventions, false
reports or moving further apart. Often this remains superficial, while the
essential beliefs continue to be the same. This applies fully to the difference
between the Shiite and the Sunni Islam. In matters of basic beliefs and
required worship, we have the same basis. There are certain differences of
detail which do not affect the validity of any act of worship, or alter any
aspect of belief.

  You may be aware that there are different schools within the Shiites, but the
school with the largest following is that known as the Imamiyyah, which is
predominant among the Shiites in Iran, Iraq and Lebanon. It is the belief in
the 12 Imams that constitutes the most important difference with Sunni Islam.
An Imam is considered the guide who is charged by God to make things clear to
people in every respect.

  The 12 Imams were Ali, the cousin and son-in-law of the Prophet, peace be
upon him, then his two sons by Fatimah, the ProphetÂ’s daughter, Al-Hasan and
Al-Husain, then the line continues in Al-HusainÂ’s descendants. The twelfth Imam
is said to have been withdrawn and will be returned at the time determined by
God, to ensure justice on earth for all mankind. His absence has now lasted for
more than one thousand years, and no indication of its duration is given.

  The other major school of the Shiite is the Zaydiyyah, which is found mainly
in Yemen. It is named after Imam Zayd ibn Ali ibn Al-Husain ibn Ali ibn Abi
Talib, who was a scholar of the highest caliber. Their view on the position of
Imams is very different from the Imamiyyah.

  When it comes to history, there are major differences, which is due to the
fact that historical events are read differently by both participants and
followers. Needless to say, partisan historians normally paint very colorful
pictures of historical events. Therefore, when we read a historical account, we
should know the leanings of the writer and check his version against those of
more neutral writers.

  With regard to your question about the Shiite version of Islamic history
during the ProphetÂ’s lifetime, the points to guard against are:

   Any detraction from the integrity or dedication of any of the ProphetÂ’s
companions;
   Any bias against the main figures who were close to the Prophet, peace be
upon him, such as Abu Bakr, Omar, Uthman, Ayesha, Talha, Al-Zubair and his son
Abdullah; and
   Any exaggeration of the role of other companions of the Prophet,
particularly Ali, who was undoubtedly close to the Prophet, peace be upon him,
and a great servant of Islam. Yet his role should not be blown up so as to make
him far superior to everyone else.
  AB
                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                                    "For to us
will be their return; then it will be for us to call them to account." (Holy
Quran 88:25-26)

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.