“OH Muslims! Beware of the SICKULARISTS, the MUTTERATES & the FOOLARISTS Within
the Muslim Community Who Are IN SYNC With the Western World To WATER DOWN Islam
to Meet the Standards Set By the West. They DO NOT Have the Wellbeing of the
Muslim Community at Heart. They ONLY Want to Serve Their Non Muslim Masters for
Their OWN Personal Benefits. Recognizing the ENEMY WITHIN is NOT Always an EASY
Task.” – AB
  But There Is No Such Thing As Wahhabi

  http://ourdialogue.com/answers/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=1573

  Question
  I am writing in regard to the movement known as Tabligh, which has been
active in India over the years. They are also known as Wahhabis and sometime
addressed as the number 24, although what this number signifies remains a
mystery to me. They have their own mosques where they do not use microphones
for prayer and they advocate many other things in the name of Islam. When I
visited my home country recently, my father told me that they frequently visit
him and that arguing with them is futile. He feels confused by some of the
ideas they try to disseminate. May I say that in my parents’ home, we never
visit any shrine, attend death anniversaries, etc., but we give Fatihah and
Niyaz and celebrate the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.
When I told my family that I have stopped these practices as well, they started
to call me Wahhabi and 24. Another hot issue is that they claim that saying Ya
Rasoolullah is prohibited. May I request your explanation of all
 such matters & what is permissible and what is not?

  Answer
  I have never thought that the Tabligh and the Wahhabis movements could be
ever confused or thought to form one group or movement. Their ideas and methods
are wide apart. But perhaps this is part of the confusion that the reader’s
father has felt.

  Tabligh is a movement dedicated to carry the message of Islam to the farthest
corners of the world. Its members travel and speak to people about Islam. Many
scholars have expressed disagreement with some of their methods, but they are
certainly sincere people, who wish to serve Islam, even though they may be
mistaken in some respects.

  There is no such thing as Wahhabis movement, or doctrine, or group. The name
is derived from a great reformer, Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab, who lived in
Arabia over 200 years ago. He was a scholar of clear knowledge and strong
determination. He devoted the efforts to purging the faith of the people from
all elements that are alien to the pure Islamic faith, as preached by the
Prophet, peace be upon him, and practiced by his companions.

  He launched an unwavering attack on superstitions and erroneous beliefs that
crept into people’s minds during a long period of ignorance that saw the
majority of Muslim people illiterate. Because people initially resent being
told that they have been following wrong ideas, they coin nicknames for those
who tell them that. Hence the name ‘Wahhabis’ came into being. Perhaps it is
also the reason for the appellation 24, which I have never heard before.

  Let me say this to you: every thing advocated by Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahhab
aimed to get people to return to the Islamic faith in its purest form. This
applies to the celebrations people do at so-called shrines, which are no more
than the graves of men who are thought to be saints. The whole idea of
‘sainthood’ is alien to Islamic teachings. It also applies to wearing charms,
seeking mediation of dead people, celebrating various occasions, etc. The
practice known in India [& Pakistan] as Fatihah is also an innovation that has
no basis in Islam. I do not know what is meant by the expression ‘Niyaz’. I
cannot pass an opinion on it.

  One thing that he emphasizes is that we must never address our appeals or
prayer to anyone other than God Himself. That applies to the Prophet, peace be
upon him, as well.

  On the Day of Judgement the Prophet, peace be upon him, will be granted a
special favor of interceding on behalf of his followers, but that is only then.
As for life in this world, he cannot be of benefit to us, other than for having
taught us the right faith and shown us how to follow it. But he cannot mediate
with God now on our behalf. Hence to appeal to him, as people do when they say,
Ya Rasoolullah, is a form of polytheism, making him a partner with God. He made
no claim to such partnership and he would be the first to reject it. It is only
to God that we should appeal. The word ‘Ya’ is a form of appeal or calling upon
someone.

  Having said that, it remains for me to say that some of the things that the
reader mentions as practiced by those people may not be right.

  Their refusal to use microphones is one such thing. A microphone and public
address system is a machine, which may be used for the very good purpose of
making the call to prayer. It is used in the Haram in Makkah and in the
Prophet’s mosque in Madinah.

  The reader specifically asks about celebrating Shab-e-Bar'at, which I think
is the middle night of the month of Sh’aban. If I am correct, then I tell him
that there is nothing to suggest that the Prophet, peace be upon him, or his
companions ever marked that night with any special action. Hence, to mark it or
associate it with any great fortunes [or blessings] is an innovation.

  AB – [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  First They Came for the EXTREMIST, FUNDAMENTALIST & MODERATE Muslims. And I
DIDN’T Speak Out Because I Wasn't An Extremist, Fundamentalist or a Moderate
Muslim. Then FINALLY They Came for Me the NON-PRACTICING Muslim And NO Muslims
Were Left to Speak Out for ME.