Quote:
---------------------------------
  But the female judge, who has not been named, made clear in a letter that the
wife's bid had little chance of approval because, according to her, Islamic law
allowed a man to strike his wife.
---------------------------------

This is stated but no evidence from quotes of the Qur'an or Hadiths are
provided to substantiate the false claim that Islamic law allows wife beating.
How can Islamic law -- which is based on Quran and the authentic example of the
Prophet (saaw) -- allows wife beating when the Prophet's specific words and
example was the following:

"The example of the Holy Prophet (saws) is clear. When approached by a man
about how he should treat his wife, the Prophet (saws) told him to feed her as
you would feed yourself, provide for her clothes as you would for yourself, do
not beat her and do not revile her. Remarking upon those men who beat their
wives, he said they are not good Muslims. He said that the best men are those
who treat their wives well."

The Judge ruling in this case in Germany is going on propaganda myths without
any real reference to anything in Islam to justify her claims. If she were to
rule on Islamic law why not rule on the numerous examples from Qur'an and
Hadiths which strongly condemn wife beating as in the following:

1. From the Quran:
  Quote:
---------------------------------
  30.021. And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among
yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and
mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.

This shows that love and mercy to achieve a state of tranquility for husband
and wife is what G-d intended for husband and wife NOT a whip.

4.001. O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single
person, created, of like nature, His mate, and from them twain scattered (like
seeds) countless men and women;- reverence God, through whom ye demand your
mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (That bore you): for God ever
watches over you.

49.013. O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female,
and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye
may despise (each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is
(he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well
acquainted (with all things).

Both verses above show that male and female are twin halves of each other
created from a single soul. Our essence is the same and we are incomplete until
we become one with our other half. We are to reverence the “wombs that bore us”
which is an open endorsement by the Quran on how we should regard our women.
Hurting them would be the same as hurting ourselves.

Talking about separation/divorce, "But do not take them back to hurt them, and
whoever does that then he has wronged himself." (2:231)

"and you should not treat them with harshness" (4:19)

Treating our women with harshness or a way to cause hurt is forbidden in the
Quran. But love, mercy and reverence is highly endorsed.
---------------------------------

2. From the Hadiths:

  Quote:
---------------------------------
  Narrated Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: I went to the Messenger of Allah (saws) and
asked him: What do you say about our wives? He replied: Give them food that you
have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not
beat them, and do not revile them.
(Sunan Abu Daawood 11:2139)

Narrated Mu'awiyah ibn Haydah: I said: Messenger of Allaah, how should we
approach our wives and how should we leave them? He replied: Approach your
tilth when or how you will, give her food when you take food, clothe her when
you clothe yourself, do not revile her face, and do not beat her.
(Sunan Abu Daawood 11:2138)

“Narrated Abu Hurairah (ra): The Prophet (saws) said: The most perfect Muslim
in the matter of faith is one who has excellent behaviour; and the best among
you are those who behave best towards their wives.” (reported in Jami
At-Tirmidhee and widely accepted)

“The Prophet (saws) said: The most perfect believers are the best in conduct
and the best of you are those who are best to their wives." (Ibn Hanbal,
Hadeeth No. 7396)

“The Prophet (saws) said: The best of you is one who is best towards his family
and I am best towards the family.” (reported in Jami At-Tirmidhee and widely
accepted).

"It was reported to the Prophet (saws) that some of his Companions beat their
wives, whereupon he said, 'Certainly those are not the best among you’.” (as
reported by Ahmad, Abu Daoud, and al-Nisai. Ibn Hibban and Al-Hakim classify it
as sound, as narrated by Iyas ibn 'Abdullah ibn Abu Dhiab).

Right before his death, at his final sermon to Muslims, the Prophet (saaw)
addressed issues that were of the most vital importance to Muslims. In doing so
he addressed the importance of women and their rights. Here is what he said:

O People! It is true that you have certain rights with regards to your women,
but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your
wives only under Allah's trust and with His permission. If they abide by your
right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do
treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and
committed helpers.
---------------------------------

The overwhelming evidence is against wife beating in Islam. From the Quranic
verses to the examples of our Prophet (saaw), there are unanimous proofs for
that.

Some use the following verse to claim that the Qur'an endorses wife beating
from the following verse:

  Quote:
---------------------------------
  Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because God has given the
one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their
means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the
husband's) absence what God would have them guard. As to those women on whose
part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse
to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to
obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For God is Most High,
great (above you all). 4:34
---------------------------------

The word the Quran used for beat in Arabic is not correctly translated in
English. But let’s look at a little Arabic to understand what the Quran is
really saying. The word translated to mean beat is the Arabic word
edrobhohunna. That word does not mean beat in a violent way to incur physical
damage. The Arabic word that means beat to incur physical damage is hatumhoo.
Get a good Arabic dictionary or consult any Arabic speaking person and they
will tell you the difference. The Quran did not use the word hatumhoo it used
edrobhohunna, which is a word meaning more an action to show displeasure
without causing physical harm. It is striking such that even a baby won’t be
harmed. It is hard to translate because in English when we use the word strike
it implies harm but in Arabic this word does not imply physical damage or harm.
Most translators in an attempt to get close to the meaning in Arabic translate
edrobhohunna as strike lightly.

Some translators have even translated this word as a tongue lashing. But it
does not mean the physical brutalization and beat down of women, which does not
agree with the spirit of the Quran.

Mik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070322/wl_afp/germanyjusticeislam_070322132641

  German judge rules Koran allows wife abuse

        Thu Mar 22, 9:26 AM ET

  BERLIN (AFP) - A German woman judge has refused a Moroccan-born woman
permission to file for divorce by interpreting the Koran as allowing husbands
to beat their wives.

  "Where are we living? Woman judge allows beating in marriage... and invokes
the Koran," said a front-page headline in Germany's top-selling Bild newspaper,
reflecting the widespread angry reaction on Thursday.

  "This Moroccan woman has the same right to protection from a violent husband
as any German woman. Anything else would be misconceived sensitivity to the
benefit of the husband and would amount to racist discrimination against the
wife," said the Tageszeitung daily.

  The Central Council of Muslims in Germany also condemned the decision.
  "The judge should have made a decision based on the German constitution
instead of the Koran," said spokeswoman Nurhan Soykan, who said that violence
and mistreatment, regardless of the gender of the victim, were also grounds for
divorce in the Islamic world.
  A court in the western city of Frankfurt on Wednesday upheld a complaint of
bias against the judge lodged by the lawyer of the 26-year-old woman, who has
two children.
  The woman had filed for immediate divorce on the grounds that the husband,
also of Moroccan origin, regularly beat her and threatened to kill her. The
claims were backed up by a police report.

  But the female judge, who has not been named, made clear in a letter that the
wife's bid had little chance of approval because, according to her, Islamic law
allowed a man to strike his wife.

  German politicians from all parties were united in disgust at the judgement.
  "When the Koran takes precedence over the German Basic Law, then I can only
say: Good night Germany," Ronald Pofalla, the secretary general of the
conservative Christian Democratic Union of Chancellor Angela Merkel, told Bild.
  Hans-Christian Stroebele, of the opposition Greens, said the kind of abuse
suffered by the woman should be punished by German criminal law.

 My favorite Yahoo sign in screen:

  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

"Strive as in a race to achieve the
 goal of excellence in all that you do."

  For real insights visit:

  http://www.geocities.com/mewatch99/