*The Observations of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) About the Finality of
Prophethood *

The meaning of the word Khatam that emerges out of the context of the Holy
Qur'an and which is the same as given in all lexicons of the Arabic language
is also affirmed by the observations of the Holy Prophet(peace and blessings
be upon him). We quote some authentic traditions to illustrate the case in
point:

1. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) observed: *"The tribe of Israel was guided by
prophets. When a prophet passed away, another prophet succeeded him. But no
prophet will come after me; only caliphs will succeed me." *(Bukhari,
Kitab-ul-Manaqib).

2. The Prophet of God (PBUH) affirmed:* "My position in relation to the
prophets who came before me can be explained by the following example: *

*A man erected a building and adorned this edifice with great beauty, but he
left an empty niche, in the corner where just one brick was missing. People
looked around the building and marvelled at its beauty, but wondered why a
brick was missing from that niche? I am like unto that one missing brick and
I am the last in the line of the Prophets." *(Bukhari, Kitab-ul-Manaqib).

3. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) observed: *"God has bestowed upon me six favors
which the former Prophets did not enjoy: *

*I have been endowed with the gift of pithy and perfect speech. *

*I was granted victory owing to my awe. *

*The spoils of war were made lawful unto me. *

*The whole earth has been made the place of worship for me and it has become
the means of purification for me also. In other words in my religion,
offering of prayers is not confined to certain specified places of worship.
Prayers can be offered at any place over the earth. And in case water is not
available it is lawful for my people to perform ablutions with earth
(Tayammum) and to cleanse themselves with the soil if water for bathing is
scarce. *

*I have been sent by Allah to carry His Divine message to the whole world. *

*And the line of prophets has come to its final end in me. *(Muslim,
Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

4. The Prophet of Allah (PBUH) affirmed: *"The chain of Messengers and
Prophets has come to an end. There shall be no Messenger nor Prophet after
me." *(Tirmidhi, Kitab-ur-Rouya Babu Zahab-un- Nubuwwa, Musnad Ahmad,
Marwiyat-Anas bin Malik)

5. Abdur Rahman bin Jubair reported: *"I heard Abdullah bin 'Amr ibn-'As
narrating that one day the Holy Prophet (PBUH) came out of his house and
joined our company. His manner gave us the impression as if he were leaving
us.' He said, 'I am Muhammad, the unlettered prophet of Allah' and repeated
this statement three times. Then he affirmed: "There will be no prophet
after me'." *(Musnad Ahmad, Marwiyat'Abdullah bin Amr ibn'-As.)

6. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) said: *"If an Apostle were to succeed me, it
would have been 'Umar bin Khattab." *(Tirmidhi,Kitab-ul- Manaqib)

7. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) told Hadrat 'Ali, *"You are related to me as
Aaron was related to Moses (peace be upon  him). But no Apostle will come
after me."* (Bukhari and Muslim, Kitab Fada'il as-Sahaba)

There plenty of Rasoolullah's word to take in consideration than any other
human…

*P.P. Abdullatheef*
Neeleswaram  - CLT