Note: forwarded message attached.
--- Begin Message ---
Hadith - 1
Salaah is a pillar of Islam
Hadhrat Abdullah Bin Umer (Radiallaho Anho) narrates that he heard the Prophet
(Sallallaho Alaihi Wassallam) saying:
“Islam is founded on five pillars: bearing witness that there is no god but
Allah (Subhanahu wa Taala), and Mohammed (Sallallaho Alaihi Wassallam) is His
slave and Rasul;  establishment of Salaah; paying of Zakah; performance of
Hajj; and fasting in Ramadhan.”
Rasulullah (Sallallaho Alaihi Wassallam) has compared Islam to a tent resting
on five supports.  The Kalimah is the central support and the other four
pillars of Islam are,  so to say,  the remaining four supports, one at each
corner of the tent.  Without the central support, the tent cannot possibly
stand,  and if any one of the corner support is missing,  a collapse will take
place in the defective corner.  Now,  let us judge for ourselves how far we
have kept up the tent of Islam.  Is there really any pillar that is being kept
in its proper place?
The five pillars of Islam described in this Hadith signify the most essential
duties of a Muslim.  Although a Muslim cannot do without any one of them.  yet
Salaah in Islam occupies a position next only to Iman.  Abdullah Ibn Masood
(Radiallaho Anho) says: “Once, I inquired of the Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihi
Wassallam),  which act (of man) was the dearest to Allah (Subhanahu wa Taala).
 Rasulullah (Sallallaho Alaihi Wassallam) replied, ‘Salaah’. I then inquired
which act came next ( in order of merit) and Rasulullah (Sallallaho Alaihi
Wassallam) replied ‘Kindness to parents’. I again asked what was next and he
answered ‘Jihad’.”
Mullah Ali Qari (Rehmatullah Alaihi) has quoted this Hadith in support of the
belief that Salaah is the most important religious duty after Iman.  This is
confirmed by many Ahadith,  especially the one in which the Nabi (Sallallaho
Alaihi Wassallam) is reported to have said The best of your deeds is Salaah
which has been narrated by five different Sahabah.

" Riyad-us-Saliheen"
"FAZA'IL-E-A'MAAL "
       Available Online
http://www.muslimwebpage.com