I am a Vedic Sanatana Dharmi. I have full faith in the Islamic concept of
Paramatma (the Supreme Spirit). I need you to guide me with a good and
correct interpretation of the Qur'an. May Paramatma Allah bless all in a
Satyanarayan way!

Harsha   - India 17/Sep/2006

*Salam*, Harsha.

Thank you very much for your question.

It is very heartening to welcome a Vedic Sanatana Dharmi like you, who would
identify the Hindu concept of Paramatma with the Islamic concept of Allah.

Indeed the Vedas (the four sacred books that form the foundational religious
texts of the Hindus) provide a great deal of insight into the Sanatana
Dharma (Eternal Law) of Brahman — the Sanskrit word for God as the Ultimate
Reality — Who is considered by Hindus the Source of all existence.

The Hindu belief about the Vedas as the *sruti* (what was heard) bears a
close resemblance to the Muslim idea of *wahy* (divine revelation). You know
that the *sruti*, according to interpreters, were "heard" by the sages of
later generations from their predecessors.

It is also noteworthy that they are considered *nitya* (eternal, i.e,
without beginning or end) and *apauruseya sabda* (revealed knowledge from a
superhuman source)(Srila Jiva Gosvami); and this means that they originated
from God. That is to say, the first sages who taught the Vedas may have been
prophets to whom God had revealed them originally.

The Qur'anic verses are *sruti* in the sense of revealed scripture, but with
the additional significance that they were written down and preserved intact
so that Muslims have been reading them and learning them by heart from the
very beginning.

The Qur'an was revealed to the Final of the Prophets, Muhammad (peace be
upon him), and it came as a confirmation and fulfillment of the earlier
scriptures revealed to all the prophets of old. In other words, one function
of the Qur'an is to confirm the truths in the earlier scriptures and to
correct any errors that might have crept into them during their transmission
from generation to generation.

There are clues in the Vedas, as well as in Hindu religious history, that
point to the possibility that the Vedas were corrupted versions of earlier
revealed texts, such as the scriptures sent to the Prophet Abraham
(Ibrahim). The Oneness of God underscored in the Vedas, as against the
common beliefs of the Hindus, is a very important factor, for instance.

There is the verse in the first of the Vedas called the Rig Veda: *Ekam sat
viprah bahudha vadanti* (Rig Veda:1.164.46) "Truth is One; but the sages
call Him by many names." Indeed this verse is comparable to the following
Qur'anic verses:

*{Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute}*
(Al-Ikhlas 112:1-2)

*{Call upon Allah, or call upon Rahman: by whatever name ye call upon Him,
(it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.}* (Al-Israa'
17:110)

It is to the credit of the religion of Islam (which means submission to God)
that it does not limit itself to any particular prophet or to any particular
age. Muhammad (peace be on him) was only the final prophet of Islam, and so
he never claimed that his religion was a new one, nor do Muslims consider
him the founder of Islam.

Hopefully, a close and insightful study of the Qur'an can lead us to a clear
understanding of how we can lead a virtuous life in obedience to the One
True God.

May He guide us to His Truth!

I hope this answer helps you. Please keep in touch.
*Shahul
Hameed*<http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996220182&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam%2FAAboutIslamCounselorE%2FAAboutIslamCounselorE>