Bismillah, As Salaam Alaikum,

  newtrendmag.org.

  An online magazine, New Trend Magazine published two articles in its
September 3, 2007 edition concerning Imam Wazir Ali and Curtis Sharif.  As a
professional journalist for over 40 years, I believe in fair and accurate
reporting that gives clear understanding to the reader based on  verifiable
facts and evidence.  Therefore, I have asked the editor of New Trend to publish
a correction and clarification to the two articles to give the readers a
clearer understanding of the situation.  I regret any misunderstanding that may
have occurred from reading the unclarified versions of these articles.

  The New Trend editor has extended an open invitation to anyone who wants to
respon to these articles.

  Background:  The editor of New Trend sent me an email asking for information
on how the continuing situation developed, that involves Imam Wazir Ali,
denying me, Curtis Sharif, equal access to prayer and worship services at the
Houston Masjid of Al-Islam / Mercy Community Center East.

  As a part of my effort to eradicate dictatorial punishment and banishment
from our Model Islamic Community, I regularly report on and post new
developments regarding this situation.

  In my answer to the editor, I did not use any proper names, however I did
refer to positions such as "Imam".   I believe a misunderstanding occurred when
the editor thought that all of my references to "Imam" were speaking of Imam
Wazir Ali, when they were not in fact.

  This situation began under the administration of Resident Imam Qasim Ahmed,
in which Imam Wazir Ali served as Assistant Imam.  So the statements  private
business practices that were attriobuted to Imam Wazir Ali, in the articles,
were in fact  the private business practices of Imam Qasim Ahmed.

  Imam Wazir Ali replaced Imam Qasim Ahmed as Resident Imam at the Houston
Masjid after Imam Ahmed left the city.  Imam Wazir Ali has continued the
dictatorial punishment and banishment practices that began during the Imam
Qasim Ahmed administration.

  Disclaimer:  I have no formal or official association with New Trend Magazine
and did not write the headlines of either article or the content of the first
article.  I have made no statements about, nor do I endorse or agree with, the
editor's comments in the first article concerning any other Imams, besides Imam
Wazir Ali.

  Correction:
  Correction to the September 3, 2007 Issue of the New Trend Magazine.  Article
Headline : Houston Imam Wazir Ali is refusing to let Br. Curtis Sharif enter
the masjid.

Published:
"Houston Imam Wazir Ali is refusing to let Br. Curtis Sharif enter the masjid
after he questioned Wazir Ali's business dealings which are said to have cost
the community heavily."

Correction: "Houston Masjid of Al-Islam Resident ImamWazir Ali is refusing to
let Br. Curtis Sharif enter the masjid after he questioned Former Resident Imam
Qasim Ahmed's accountability in a lawsuit which are said to have cost the
community heavily."

Explaiination : Imam Wazir Ali was assistant Imam when the lawsuit  situation
occurred.  Imam Qasim Ahmed was resident Imam, and it was his private business
activities that led to the lawsuit, not Imam Waziir Ali's.

  However, as Assistant Resident Imam, one of four key Houston Masjid
officials, including Resident Imam, Secretary and Treasurer, with the
responsibility and accountability of the day to day operation of the Masjid,
and the management of its business and financial affairs, Imam Wazir Ali's
business dealings in that regard did cost the community heavily.

  These key officials:

    Failed to prevent the co-mingling of Masjid business and interest with
private business and interest;
   Concealed the problem debt associated with the lawsuit from the ummah for
three years;
   Concealed the existance of the lawsuit againt the Masjid from the ummah for
over a year;
   Failed to include the problem debt in financial repots
   Failed to discuss the problem debt and lawsuit in community wide shura
meetings.

Imam Wazir Ali was an instructor in the private business  venture , however he
was not an owner.
  Second Article Headline : U.S. Muslims Ignoring  Islam -
   Imam Wazir Ali Questioned about Loss of Masjid Funds Barred Questioner from
Masjid

  Clarification: Imam Wazir was one of four key masjid officials questioned
about the loss of Masjid funds in a lawsuit.  He was Assistant Resident Imam at
the time, in Resident Imam Qasim Ahmed's administration.

  Curtis Sharif's Response to Editor's Request:

   This post addresses the root of the problem, which began when ummah members
discovered, from sources outside the masjid that a year old lawsuit had been
filed against the masjid over a three year old debt.

 The debt was for the lease of a container that was used to store assets from
the Imam's private business.  The Imam put the container in the masjid's name,
although he and his business partner had the responsibility for paying for it.

They never paid one cent of the lease over a three year period and the
container company sued the masjid.

The original debt for the three years was $3000. In the period of a year the
cost escalated to over $20,000 because the Imam and his business partner
repeatedly committed to ever escalating settlement offers , but never paid
anything on any of them.

The case went to trial and was lost.  In addition to the original $3000, we had
to pay $15,000 in their attorney fees, plus the cost of defending the lawsuit.

To keep the container company from seizing the masjid and all of its assets,
the $20,000 was paid out of a building fund, into which I had pledged and paid
$1000 the standard family pledge amount.

After the funds were dispersed from the building fund, I asked for financial
reports on the fund and for regular monthly financial reports.

the Imam and masjid officials never provided any financial reports on the money
spent out of the fund......AND stopped giving masjid financial reports for a
year.

I was put out of the masjid for asking for these reports.  I was never charged
. tried or proven guilty of any punishable offense.  I was put out and have
been refused access to prayer and worship at the masjid ever since.  This began
in 2002.

This putting people out of the masjid when they fall in disfavor with the Imam
is a continuing practice in our community that is rooted in the Nation of Islam
days.  I am working to eradicate the practice in our community.
That is the gist of the situation, although it is much more detailed than that.

Peace,
   Curtis Sharif [ Houston,Texas]

  Additional Background Information:

    The first instance of dictatorial punishment came after Imam Wazir Ali
forced me off Masjid property for registering ummah members to vote in the
presidential election.  Then I was put on restrictions which required me to
leave the masjid property immediately after prayer and worship services.

  Imam Qasim Ahmed later voluntarily removed those restrictions after I
publically protested that they were haram, unjust and immoral.

The second instance of dictatorial punishment and banishment came after I was
calling for a financial report on the $20,000 lost in the lawsuit from a
building fund to whic t I contributed $1000, and organized yard sales to help
other families raise their $1,000 pledge,  I was also calling for regular
monthly financial reports and community wide shura meetings.  This time my
access to the masjid, its prayer and worship services were blocked, again by
dictate, without the use of  any Islamic or Sharia justice procedures.  This
banishment continues today.

  Another Imam reported that he was in a meeting with Imam Qasim Ahmed and Imam
Warzir Ali, and that it was Imam Wazir Ali that made the decision to bar Curtis
Sharif from access to and prayer and worship in the Houston Masjid of Al-Islam.

Imam Wazir Ali is also Resident Imam of Masjid Quran in Houston, Texas. The
Houston Masjid of Al-Islam is also known as Mercy Community Center East and
Masjid Quran as Mercy Community Center West,

While Curtis Sharif has been continually barred from the Houston Masjid since
20002, he has been permitted equall access to Masjid Quran, its prayer and
worship services, classes and activities.

Since Islam is a religion of freedom, justice and equality,  What consistent
furqan or criteria is Imam Wazir and the Mercy Community Center officials
using, that is applied equally and justly to all worshipers,  to permit equal
access to both  Masjids?

And how does the application of that criteria permit Curtis Sharif equal access
to Masjid Quran, while denying him access to the Houston Masjid, when he has
not been charged, tried or proven guilty of any punishable offense, under
Sharia law?

  My only desire is to be treated equitably and justly, like any other ordinary
Muslim, who has the universal, Allah-endowed right, to worship at the masjid of
their choice.

Peace, Curtis Sharif

The two articles in the New Trend Magazine 9/3/307 edition.