The Importance of Giving in Ramadan

By Idris Rawfiq - British Writer and Speaker

 Those
who are not Muslim could not possibly imagine the joy that Muslims feel
as Ramadan approaches. If you have ever been to the cinema, for
example, and seen a really good film, you know just how difficult it is
to describe how good the film was to someone who has not seen it.
Talking about Ramadan is a bit like that. No amount of words can
describe how important Ramadan is or the blessings and the benefits we,
as Muslims, take from it. No words can describe how good it feels to
complete a day's fast or the joy and the feeling of festivity when the
day's fasting is over.

Learning Self-restraint

Someone remarked
that fasting for a couple of days is all it takes is to understand the
suffering of those who go without food as a normal part of life, so why
do Muslims need to fast for a whole month? They were quite right about
understanding the plight of the poor, but if that is all they think
Ramadan is about, they miss the point.

Muslims fast because Almighty Allah has commanded them to do so. In the Qur'an,
we read,[

O you who believe, fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those
before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint.]Al-Baqarah 2:183<!--
D(["mb","\u003c/span\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\n\n\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
 color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>As Muslims, we
fast for the sake of Allah. Even amid the feasting and the celebrating, we
should never forget
this.\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>It is very
sad\nthat many who are not Muslim see an altogether different side to
Islam.\nAs Muslims, we need to be very careful about the example we give
and\nabout how people perceive what we are doing. Even though we look\nforward
to the approach of Ramadan for months, many who are not Muslim\nsee only people
who are even more bad-tempered because they are not\nsmoking, traffic that is
even worse because every one is trying to get\nhome at the same time to break
the fast, or shops and businesses that\noperate at less than full
 strength because people went to bed too late\nthe night before and
couldn&#39;t get to work on time. What a shame if this\nis the only example we
give to others.\n\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>How much
better\nit would be if we could let others see the sweet and beautiful
message\nof Islam by the way we celebrate Ramadan this year. As we prepare
for\nRamadan and as the days of Ramadan slowly pass by, we need to be
asking\nourselves all the time how we are going to benefit from the holy
month.\nWhat are we going to do to make the most of
Ramadan?\n\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cb\>\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>Realistic
Goals\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/b\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cfont
face\u003d\"Verdana\"\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\"\>\u003cspan\>\u003cimg
 align\u003d\"right\"\>\n\n \u003c/span\>\u003cspan\>It\nis very important to
set ourselves realizable goals and not to set our\nsights so high that we fail
to achieve them. For example, if we are not\nall that faithful to Prayer during
the course of the year, it is\nunrealistic to expect that we will pray the five
daily Prayers as well\nas Tarawih Prayers in the mosque and that we will get up
during the\nlast third of the night to pray as our Prophet did (peace and
blessings\nbe upon him). If we don&#39;t usually spend too much time reciting
the\nQur&#39;an, it is unrealistic to expect that we can recite the whole of
the\nQur&#39;an during Ramadan. In other words, be realistic in the goals
you\nset yourself.\n",1]
);

//-->

As Muslims, we fast for the sake of Allah. Even amid the feasting and the
celebrating, we should never forget this.

It is very sad
that many who are not Muslim see an altogether different side to Islam.
As Muslims, we need to be very careful about the example we give and
about how people perceive what we are doing. Even though we look
forward to the approach of Ramadan for months, many who are not Muslim
see only people who are even more bad-tempered because they are not
smoking, traffic that is even worse because every one is trying to get
home at the same time to break the fast, or shops and businesses that
operate at less than full strength because people went to bed too late
the night before and couldn't get to work on time. What a shame if this
is the only example we give to others.

How much better
it would be if we could let others see the sweet and beautiful message
of Islam by the way we celebrate Ramadan this year. As we prepare for
Ramadan and as the days of Ramadan slowly pass by, we need to be asking
ourselves all the time how we are going to benefit from the holy month.
What are we going to do to make the most of Ramadan?

Realistic Goals

 It
is very important to set ourselves realizable goals and not to set our
sights so high that we fail to achieve them. For example, if we are not
all that faithful to Prayer during the course of the year, it is
unrealistic to expect that we will pray the five daily Prayers as well
as Tarawih Prayers in the mosque and that we will get up during the
last third of the night to pray as our Prophet did (peace and blessings
be upon him). If we don't usually spend too much time reciting the
Qur'an, it is unrealistic to expect that we can recite the whole of the
Qur'an during Ramadan. In other words, be realistic in the goals you
set yourself.
<!--
D(["mb","\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
 color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>One sure way
we\ncan all benefit from Ramadan is to give more. What do we mean by
this?\nWell, we can give more of our time to Allah and to others; in so
doing,\nwe can understand and take to heart what Ramadan and Islam is
all\nabout.\n\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>Ramadan is
the\nmonth in the Islamic calendar when our holy Prophet (peace and\nblessings
be upon him) first received the revelation of the Qur&#39;an from\nJibril
(Angel Gabriel). For the rest of the Prophet&#39;s life, Jibril\nvisited him
during Ramadan, and they recited the whole of the Qur&#39;an\ntogether. In the
last Ramadan before the Prophet died, they recited the\nwhole of the Qur&#39;an
together twice. For our own part, then, we
 can\nspend at least some extra time during Ramadan reciting the Qur&#39;an
and\nstudying its meaning. In giving up some of our time, we give time
to\nAllah. The result, \u003ci\>in sha&#39; Allah\u003c/i\>, is that by the end
of Ramadan, we will have come closer to
Allah.\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>For Muslims,
Ramadan is also the special month of
\u003ci\>du`aa&#39;\u003c/i\>\n(supplication). During the day, while we are
fasting, we make prayers\nand invocations to Allah to remind us that it is for
His sake that we\nfast. The Ramadan fast is neither a diet nor a punishment. We
do it\ngladly for Allah&#39;s sake. Many Muslims try during Ramadan to attend
the\nspecial Tarawih Prayers in the mosque every evening. By doing so,
they\nwill have heard the whole Qur&#39;an recited during the month. Giving
such\ntime to Prayer, then, is another way of giving our time
 and our hearts\nto
Allah.\n\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cb\>\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>Ways of
Celebrating Ramadan\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/b\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cfont
face\u003d\"Verdana\"\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\"\>\u003cspan\>\u003cimg align\u003d\"right\"\>\n\n
\u003c/span\>\u003cspan\>Fasting\nfrom sunrise to sunset not only teaches us to
control our unruly\nbodies, making them aware that we control them rather than
the other\nway around, but it also helps us to think of others who are
less\nfortunate than ourselves, and it teaches us to give thanks to Allah
for\nall the blessings we have that we so often take for granted. When
the\nAdhan calls each day for the Sunset Prayer, telling us all that
the\nday&#39;s fast is over, there are many in the world whose fast will
not\nend. In fact, many thousands will starve to death because they
 have no\nfood.\n",1]
);

//-->

One sure way we
can all benefit from Ramadan is to give more. What do we mean by this?
Well, we can give more of our time to Allah and to others; in so doing,
we can understand and take to heart what Ramadan and Islam is all
about.

Ramadan is the
month in the Islamic calendar when our holy Prophet (peace and
blessings be upon him) first received the revelation of the Qur'an from
Jibril (Angel Gabriel). For the rest of the Prophet's life, Jibril
visited him during Ramadan, and they recited the whole of the Qur'an
together. In the last Ramadan before the Prophet died, they recited the
whole of the Qur'an together twice. For our own part, then, we can
spend at least some extra time during Ramadan reciting the Qur'an and
studying its meaning. In giving up some of our time, we give time to
Allah. The result, in sha' Allah, is that by the end of Ramadan, we will have
come closer to Allah.

For Muslims, Ramadan is also the special month of du`aa'
(supplication). During the day, while we are fasting, we make prayers
and invocations to Allah to remind us that it is for His sake that we
fast. The Ramadan fast is neither a diet nor a punishment. We do it
gladly for Allah's sake. Many Muslims try during Ramadan to attend the
special Tarawih Prayers in the mosque every evening. By doing so, they
will have heard the whole Qur'an recited during the month. Giving such
time to Prayer, then, is another way of giving our time and our hearts
to Allah.

Ways of Celebrating Ramadan

 Fasting
from sunrise to sunset not only teaches us to control our unruly
bodies, making them aware that we control them rather than the other
way around, but it also helps us to think of others who are less
fortunate than ourselves, and it teaches us to give thanks to Allah for
all the blessings we have that we so often take for granted. When the
Adhan calls each day for the Sunset Prayer, telling us all that the
day's fast is over, there are many in the world whose fast will not
end. In fact, many thousands will starve to death because they have no
food.
<!--
D(["mb","\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
 color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>So not
only\ngiving our time to Allah, but also giving our time, talents,
and\nmaterial goods to others is a way of celebrating Ramadan. It really\ncosts
us very little to give out of our plenty to those who have\nnothing. By doing
so in Ramadan, we learn to thank Allah for all the\ngood things we have. We can
join together with our friends, for\nexample, and help the needy. Through the
mosque, we can start planning\nahead, before the month begins, and think of
ways in which we can\ntogether help people. In the Canadian city of Toronto,
for example,\nMuslims there have given out food every day in the city center to
those\nwho need it. Other Muslims run special soup kitchens or visit
the\nhomeless during Ramadan. What a great way that is of showing the
world\nhow much Muslims care for their world and
 all those in it. What a great\nway that is of dispelling all those
misconceptions and myths that\npeople have about
Islam.\n\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000080\" face\u003d\"Verdana\" size\u003d\"2\"\>Giving, then,
is\ncentral to what Ramadan is about. We give time to Allah and to others.\nIn
doing so, we not only heap down blessings on ourselves, \u003ci\>in sha&#39;
Allah\n\u003c/i\>, but we also tell the world about Islam and we bring light
and\nhope into the lives of many people who have none. Islam is the
natural\nreligion. Many in the world know nothing about Islam, except for
the\nimages of violence they see on TV. By the way we celebrate our
holy\nmonth, we can show a world thirsting for Allah that Muslims are not
the\nsabre-rattling fanatics they are portrayed as, but as people who
have\nsubmitted their lives to Allah. By our giving for Allah&#39;s sake, we
can\nteach the world how beautiful Islam
 really is. Maybe our giving will\nalso, \u003ci\>in sha&#39; Allah\u003c/i\>,
help us to be better Muslims all the
year.\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n\u003cspan\>\u003ca
name\u003d\"115266e9d75fc3e7_114fea06f17cf640_**1\"\>\u003cfont
size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cfont
face\u003d\"Arial\"\>\u003cspan\>\u003cstrong\>Idris Tawfiq\u003c/strong\>\nis
a British Muslim writer who lives and works in Egypt. He has spent\nmany years
working with young people. He was head of religious\neducation in different
schools in the United Kingdom and, perhaps more\nremarkably, before embracing
Islam he was a Roman Catholic priest. You\ncan visit website at\n",1]
);

//-->

So not only
[...]
people have about Islam.

Giving, then, is
central to what Ramadan is about. We give time to Allah and to others.
In doing so, we not only heap down blessings on ourselves, in sha' Allah
, but we also tell the world about Islam and we bring light and
hope into the lives of many people who have none. Islam is the natural
religion. Many in the world know nothing about Islam, except for the
images of violence they see on TV. By the way we celebrate our holy
month, we can show a world thirsting for Allah that Muslims are not the
sabre-rattling fanatics they are portrayed as, but as people who have
submitted their lives to Allah. By our giving for Allah's sake, we can
teach the world how beautiful Islam really is. Maybe our giving will
also, in sha' Allah, help us to be better Muslims all the year.

Idris Tawfiq
is a British Muslim writer who lives and works in Egypt. He has spent
many years working with young people. He was head of religious
education in different schools in the United Kingdom and, perhaps more
remarkably, before embracing Islam he was a Roman Catholic priest. You
can visit website at
<!--
D(["mb","\u003c/span\> \u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/a\>\u003ca
href\u003d\"http://www.idristawfiq.com/\"; target\u003d\"_blank\"
onclick\u003d\"return
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>\u003cspan\>\u003cfont
color\u003d\"#000099\" face\u003d\"Arial\"
size\u003d\"2\"\>www.idristawfiq.com\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/a\>\u003cspan\>\n\u003cfont
 face\u003d\"Arial\"
size\u003d\"2\"\>.\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/span\>\u003cbr\>\n--~--~---------~--~----~------\u003cWBR\>------~-------~--~----~\u003cbr\>\nYou
 received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
&quot;safamails&quot; group.\n \u003cbr\> To post to this group, send email to
\u003ca href\u003d\"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]" target\u003d\"_blank\"
onclick\u003d\"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/a\> &amp; \u003ca href\u003d\"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return
 top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>[EMAIL PROTECTED]/a\>\n \u003cbr\>
For more options, visit this group at \u003ca
href\u003d\"http://groups.google.com/group/safamails?hl\u003den\";
target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>http://groups.google.com/group\u003cWBR\>/safamails?hl\u003den\u003c/a\>
target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>http://groups.yahoo.com/group\u003cWBR\>/safamails\u003c/a\>
 \u003cbr\>
-~----------~----~----~----~--\u003cWBR\>----~----~------~--~---\u003cbr\>\n\u003cbr\>\n",0]
);

//--> www.idristawfiq.com
.
Repeating and Reminding is a Key to the success of Effective Communication.
You are FULLY allowed to copy / forward any or all part of it.

  Yaa ALLAH ! We are ful of sins. we ignore you in our life don't ignore us
and please guide us towards your path with the help of  Hazrat Muhammad Sallal
La ho Alaihay Wassalum Sunnat. And open our hearts to understand our
Deen..Ameen

  Visit this site for Islamic Material.www.quranacademy.com
Join the forum : www.forum.quranacademy.com

  JAZAA"A KALLAH

  This is my alternative  Email Address [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.