At 05:15 AM 10/30/2007, you wrote:

Better late than never.

KAUST a Dream Come True: King
Siraj Wahab, Arab News

[]

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah
lays the cornerstone for King Abdullah
University of Science and Technology in a
symbolic ceremony at Thuwal on Sunday. (AN photo by Marwan Al-Johani)
[]

[]

THUWAL, 22 October 2007 — This small village on
the Red Sea coast to the north of Jeddah
yesterday served as the setting for the
realization of a great vision when Custodian of
the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah launched a
project that he has been dreaming of for the last quarter of a century.

The groundbreaking ceremony for a world-class
coeducational research university brought
together a number of learned men and women of
all faiths from around the globe to Saudi Arabia.

Speaking at the ceremony for the establishment
of the SR10 billion King Abdullah University of
Science and Technology (KAUST), the king exuded
optimism, saying the new university would serve
as a bridge between cultures and nations and a lighthouse of knowledge.

“Inspired by the eternal teachings of Islam that
call for seeking knowledge, engaging in
development works and promoting better
understanding between peoples, we hereby
announce the establishment of KAUST,” the king
said. “The establishment of this university has
been a living idea in my mind for more than 25
years and I thank God for helping us to realize it.”

The king said KAUST would help Saudi Arabia have
a world-class independent scientific research
center. It would, he said, act as a scientific
base as well as a driving force for the national
economy. “As a new ‘Bayt Al-Hekma’ (House of
Wisdom), KAUST will be a beacon of hope and
reconciliation and will serve the people of the
Kingdom and benefit all the peoples of the world
in keeping with the teachings of the Holy
Qur’an, which explains that God created mankind
in order for us to come to know each other,” the king said.

King Abdullah expressed the hope that KAUST’s
benefits would be enjoyed by all of humanity.
“We hope that the university carries out its
noble humanitarian message in a pure and clean
atmosphere, taking the help of God and then that
of enlightened intellectuals all over the world,
without any bias or discrimination,” he said.

King Abdullah said an endowment was set up
following a system that was prevalent in the
golden age of Islam. “By doing this work, we
seek only the happiness of God and then the
benefit of citizens of this great country, the
birthplace of Islam and for the benefit of all humanity,” he said.

Crown Prince Sultan, Prince Miteb, minister of
municipal and rural affairs, Makkah Gov. Prince
Khaled Al-Faisal and senior Cabinet members as
well as foreign dignitaries including
chancellors of international universities from
Asia, Europe and the United States were present.

Although Thuwal’s beautiful beach provided the
fantastic backdrop for the groundbreaking
ceremony, once the international dignitaries and
press entered the pavilion set up for the event,
the atmosphere put everyone on notice that Saudi
education had entered a phase in which
technology would be the primary enabler. Within
the pavilion, a high-tech multimedia
presentation wrapped the audience in a world of imagination.

The goal of the impressive event was to show not
only the strong foundation that the government’s
public policies have built for this nation, but
also to provide a vision of the future of higher
education in Saudi Arabia. The entire production
left the audience speechless, but no response
was required — King Abdullah’s delighted and
beaming smile was a statement in itself.

Dr. Frank H.T. Rhodes, president emeritus,
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, who is
also a member of KAUST’s International Advisory
Council, set the pavilion abuzz with excitement
with his excellent and highly articulate speech.

“This is a great occasion,” he said. “A
memorable event in the history not only of the
Kingdom but also the region and the world. It is
also a significant event in the long history of
higher education. A new chapter is being opened and written today.

“We celebrate the educational groundbreaking
which represents a new vision for this
university of the 21st century. We celebrate
today the visionary purpose that KAUST
represents. This day is memorable for the vision
itself which King Abdullah has cherished for
more than a quarter of a century. That of
recreating in this place of such spiritual and
cultural significance a ‘Bayt Al-Hekma,’ a new
house of wisdom where people can come together
in partnership in the quest for knowledge and the search for understanding.”

Dr. Rhodes said the occasion was memorable
because of the generosity of the endowment that
makes this vision a reality. “This university
aspires to place itself among the leading
international universities that exist in the
world today, ancient and modern, not just
another university or another college.”

Most importantly, and for this Dr. Rhodes
received thunderous applause, he said: “Thanks
to the partnerships that this new university
will have, men and women will come here from
across the world, men and women of all
persuasions, all beliefs, and all faiths
committed together to openness. The membership
of KAUST’s International Advisory Council is
indicative of the openness and the international
character the university embodies.”

Dr. Rhodes said KAUST would be an independent
institution. “It will be governed by an
independent board of directors committed in its
public statement to openness, to freedom of
inquiry, to freedom of discussion, to freedom of
expression and that freedom is the very basis on
which great universities exist.”

Dr. Rhodes was much appreciated by the large
number of Saudi women in the audience. “I am
very impressed by Dr. Rhodes’ words of wisdom,”
said Samar Fatany, a Jeddah-based radio
journalist and columnist. “For him to reiterate
what our beloved king said about KAUST being the
House of Wisdom was inspiring. This proves that
humanity can indeed come together for a better future.”

“This is history in the making and I am proud to
be here at this moment,” said Amira Kashgary, a
Saudi academic. “It is time to celebrate and
rejoice. This is a dream come true. For the
first time in my life, I feel that dreams can indeed come true,” she said.

“King Abdullah’s vision coincides with his being
a reformer. He is a visionary leader who wants
to empower his people. This university will
fulfill the growing need of our society.”

Maysun Al-Dakheel of King Abdul Aziz University
was equally excited. “The torch of Andalusia has
been ignited. Nothing can stop us now from
quenching our thirst for knowledge. Hand in hand
with professionals from across the world, we
will build the bridges of peace and knowledge
that will benefit all humanity,” she said,
adding: “A great vision can only be executed by a great king.”

Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Ali
Al-Naimi, who is chairman of Saudi Aramco, said
KAUST would bring about a new era in Saudi
Arabia. “KAUST is designed to become an
international university for research... and
will exert its efforts for the dawn of a new era
of scientific achievement in Saudi Arabia, in
the region and other parts of the world,” he
said. “Being an independent university, KAUST
will apply the best methodologies followed by
leading research universities all over the
world,” said Al-Naimi, adding that the university would open in September 2009.

Academic leaders from 10 of the world’s top
science and technology research universities had
gathered in London in March to review plans for
the new university. Chaired by Al-Naimi, the
KAUST International Advisory Council reviewed
progress on the university’s master plan,
academic and research model, external research
funding, facilities master plan, recruitment and
staffing and the overall communications strategy.

Nadhmi A. Al-Nasr, the university’s interim
president, said KAUST would act as a catalyst
for creating a knowledge economy in Saudi Arabia.

“The goal of becoming a world-class university,
able to contribute to the global-research
enterprise, is a motivating factor behind the
university’s strategic plan,” he added.

“Unlike many primarily undergraduate
universities, KAUST will not have a two-tier
faculty,” said Al-Nasr. “All faculties will be
of the highest caliber and able to formulate
value-added research projects or will have
unique background experience — as teachers or in private industry.”

KAUST’s students will be drawn from countries
around the world. “But, of course, we are
working hard to make sure that a large
proportion is from Saudi Arabia, from existing
Saudi universities, as well as Saudi students
from international universities. We are
targeting universities in Europe, in the United States and Asia,” said Al-Nasr.

KAUST has so far established partnerships with
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in
the US, Institut Francais du Petrole in France,
the National University of Singapore, the Indian
Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB) and, most
recently, the American University in Cairo.

John F. Burgess, who runs a popular website
(xrdarabia.org) devoted to improving Saudi
Arabia’s image abroad, said the most important
aspect about the new university is that it will
be independent of any government ministry.

“The government’s role will be to write the
check for the multibillion-dollar endowment and
to recognize the degrees awarded by the
university. Not having to keep looking over
one’s shoulder to see if anyone’s being offended
and not having to worry about funding being cut
because a vocal minority disapproves of the
course curricula is an enormous amount of
freedom in the Saudi context,” said Burgess at the groundbreaking ceremony.

Pradipta Banerji of Indian Institute of
Technology-Bombay said KAUST was a great idea.

“It has taken all the right steps to succeed. As
a KAUST partner, we at IIT-Bombay are counting
on the collaborative exchange of ideas, faculty
and students and formal research activities to
produce breakthroughs in technology that have
the possibility to create tomorrow’s whole new industries.”

Meanwhile, a number of businessmen said the
launch of KAUST in the village of Thuwal would
boost the area’s prospects for tourism and real estate projects.

“The presence of this university near King
Abdullah Economic City will promote investments
in research and economic fields,” said Dr. Hamad
Al-Bishri, head of tourism and hotel business at
the College of Technology in Jeddah.

“The university will boost the hospitality and
tourism service sector as its students,
researchers and visitors will require housing
and recreation facilities,” Bishri told Arab News yesterday.

The presence of KAUST will inevitably lead to
the development of the Red Sea coast near Thuwal for tourism.

— With input from P.K. Abdul Ghafour and Muhammad Al-Bishri

Zifri

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
269.15.17/1103 - Release Date: 11/1/2007 6:01 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:01 AM