How to view Hardships ?

Allah has decreed that, in this life, hardships and disasters strike both
believers and non-believers. For a non-believer, they are inconveniences that
hinder him from proceeding with his normal involvement in the worldly life. For
a believer, on the other hand, they are instances of rest and remembrance,
tests that promise great rewards, and indications of atonement and expiation of
sins. Regardless of how little is the harm that strikes a believer, it carries
with it good news of forgiveness and elevated rank ( in Jannah ). The Righteous
Predecessors used to be pleased when a hardship afflicted them, seeing it as a
token of Allah's forgiveness and benevolence.

Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good)
which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned.
"Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error, our Lord! Lay not on
us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us (Jews and
Christians); our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to
bear. Pardon us and grant us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Maula
(Patron, Suppor-ter and Protector, etc.) (Surah Baqara Verse 286)

Expiations of Sins
Abu Hurayrah(ra) reported that the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said: "
Hardships continue to befall a believing man and woman in their body, family,
and property, until they meet Allah burdened with no sins. " [Tirmidhi]

Sign of Allah's Love
Abu Hurayrah (RA) reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said:
" Whenever Allah wills good for a person, He subjects him to adversity"
[Bukharee and others]

Sign of Eeman
Abu Hurayrah (RA) and Ka'b Bin Maalik (RA) reported that the Prophet(sallallahu
alaiyhi wasallam) said: " The parable of a believer is that of a fresh and
moist plant; the wind tilts it this way and that way; and so is the believer;
he continues to be subject to affliction. And the parable of a hypocrite is
that of a firm cedar tree; it does not shake - until it is uprooted all at
once." [Bukharee and Muslim]

Sign of Righteousness
The prophets and righteous people are afflicted the most, and their rewards are
the highest. Sa'd (RA) reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam)
said: " The most in their suffering among the people are the prophets, then the
best, then the (next) best. One is afflicted in accordance with his deen
(faith). If his deen is firm his affliction is hard, and if his deen is weak,
his affliction is light. Indeed, one would be so much subjected to adversity
until he walks among the people without any sins. " [Ahmad, Tirmithee]

Early Punishment
Anas (RA) reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said: " When
Allah wills good for a servant of His, He expedites his punishment in this
life; and when He wills retribution for a servant of His, He holds his sins for
Him to judge him by them on the Day of Resurrection." [Tirmithee]

Multiplication of Rewards
Anas (RA) reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said: " The
amount of reward is in accordance with the amount of suffering. When Allah
(SWT) loves some people, He tries them (with affliction). He who then is
content (with Allah's decree) has achieved the acceptance (of Allah), and he
who is dissatisfied (with Allah's decree) will attain the anger (of Allah)."
[Tirmidhi]

Rewards for Sickness
One should not look to sickness as a gloomy episode, but should remember the
great good in it. It is one form of affliction with which Allah (SWT) tests His
'ibaad (servants), giving them a chance to acquire rewards, as was explained
above, as is further emphasized below.

Removal of Sins and Elevation in Ranks
Abu Hurayrah (RA) reported that the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said:
" Whenever a Muslim is afflicted by harm from sickness or other matters, Allah
will drop his sins because of that, like a tree drops its leaves." [Bukharee
and Muslim]

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (RA) reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi
wasallam) said: "A Muslim is not afflicted by hardship, sickness, sadness,
worry, harm, or depression - even if pricked by a thorn, but Allah expiates his
sins because of that. " [Bukharee and Muslim]

Sa'eed said, " I was with Salmaan (RA) when he visited a sick man in Kindah (
in Persia ), and he said to him: " Expect good because Allah (SWT) makes a
believers sickness an expiation (for his sins) and a period of rest. However,
when a disbeliever falls sick, he is like a camel whose owner ties it then lets
it loose - it does not understand why it was tied nor why it was freed."
[Bukharee]

'Aishah (RA) narrated that once some pain afflicted the Prophet(sallallahu
alaiyhi wasallam) causing him to suffer and turn about in his bed. she said:
"Had one of us done this, you would have blamed him." He (sallallahu alaiyhi
wasallam) replied: " An ailment is intensified for the righteous. whenever a
believer is afflicted by a hardship, whether it is a thorn or more, a sin is
taken off from him because of it, and he is elevated by one rank (in Jannah). "
[Ahmad]

Retaining Rewards for Deeds Before Sickness
Usually, when a believer falls sick, he would not be able to do the same amount
of good (prayer, fasting, helping Muslims etc) that he used to do when he was
well. But Allah out of His great mercy, continues to record for him the good
deeds that he was forced to stop because of his sickness. Abu Moosa
Al-Ash'aree(ra) narrated that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said: "
For a traveling or sick person, his deeds will be recorded in accordance with
what he used to do when he was resident or well." [Bukharee]

'Abdullah Bin 'Amr reported that the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said:
"No (believing) person gets sick, but (his deeds) will be recorded for him in
accordance with what he used to do when he was well." [Bukharee] Anas (RA)
reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said: " No Muslims body
is afflicted by Allah, but He will record (his deeds) foe him in accordance
with what he used to do when he was well - as long as he is sick. Thus, if He
takes his life, He forgives him; and if He cures him, He washes him (from
sins)." [Bukharee]

'Uqbah Bin 'Aamir reported that the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said:
"Each days deeds are sealed with it. thus, when a believer gets sick, the
angels say, " Our lord! Your servant such and such, You have restrained him
(from doing good this day)." And the lord replies, " Seal his day in accordance
with his (usual) deeds, until he is cured or dies". [Ahmad]

Reason for the Reward
'Atta Bin Rabaah reported that Ibn 'Abbaas (RA) told him, "Do you want to see a
woman from the people of Jannah (paradise)?" He said "Yes". He said: " It is
this woman. She came to the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) saying, " I
have (epileptic) seizures, and I get exposed, so supplicate to Allah for me."
He (sallallahu alaiyhi wasallam) said: " If you wish, be patient and you will
attain Jannah; or if you wish, I will ask Allah to cure you." She replied, " I
will be patient ! But my body gets exposed (because of the fall), so supplicate
to Allah for me that I do not become exposed." and he (sallallahu alaiyhi
wasallam) did." [Bukharee and Muslim]

"True believers are only those whose hearts are filled with awe whenever Allah
is mentioned, and whose faith is strengthened whenever His revelations are
recited to them. In their Lord do they place their trust." (Chapter 8: Verse 2)
By: Md Ziya
**************
SEE ALSO:
  a.. Calamities on Muslims: Causes and Cures
  b.. Why Calamities and Destructions are happening to Muslims ?
  c.. The Meaning of Sabr (Patience )
  d.. Cure for Depression - Islamic Perspective
  e.. What to do at the time of Natural Catastrophes
  f.. Islam's Treatment for Anxiety and Worry
Courtesy: AL-ISLAAH PUBLICATIONS (www.everymuslim.net)

======================================================================================================
How to view Hardships ?
My Non-Muslim Mother

The following is a touching story about a Revert Muslim and his mother. Before
he was a Muslim, he lived with his mother until he was about 18 years old. Then
he moved out of her home and lived in a different place on his own. During
those days, he met some Muslims and became a very close friend to them.
Eventually he himself became a Muslim after learning about the beautiful
religion of Islam from them. He made an effort every day to learn more and more
about Islam. One day, he came to learn about the benefits of being good to
one's parents. He learned that: A person who looks at his parents with the eyes
of obedience gets the reward of one accepted Hajj! (The reward is mentioned in
an authentic hadith of Sahih Muslim).

After knowing this, he decided to visit his mother whom he did not visit for
many years. He bought some flowers and fruits for her on his way. His mother
was very pleased to see him after so long. He started spending lots of time
with his mother on a regular basis. During his visits, he would stare at his
mother and tears would roll down from his eyes. The mother noticed this
happening many times and asked him one day the reason why he visits her so much
all of a sudden and why he cries. He told her about how he became a Muslim and
that the position of a mother in Islam is very high. He also told her about the
reward he gets for looking at her. But while looking at her, he cries because
the mother is not a Muslim and would not be able to save herself if she dies in
this state. Being touched by his words, the mother immediately recognized the
beauty of Islam and testified  to " LA ILAHA ILLAL LAAHU MUHAMMAD DUR
RASULLULLAH."
Source: Inspirations Volume 4
**************
More articles on Reverting to Islam and Introduction to Islam:
  a.. Basics of becoming a Muslim
  b.. Kalimas and Shahaadah with audio
  c.. Islamic Concepts
  d.. A Quick Introduction to Islam
  e.. Answers to Seven Questions About Islam
  f.. Common questions asked by non-muslims
  g.. Islam IS....An Introduction to Islam and it's Principles ( complete book)
  h.. Introduction to Islam and Muslims
  i.. Reversion - According to Qur'an and Hadith
  j.. Videos of Revert Muslims
  k.. Audio accounts of people coming to Islam
  l.. Former Christian Priests and Missionaries who have Embraced Islam
  m.. Men who have reverted to Islam
  n.. Women who have reverted to Islam
Courtesy: AL-ISLAAH PUBLICATIONS (www.everymuslim.net)

Mohamed (Imtiaz) Bhikoo