The passion for Christ: 'Islamic Jesus' hits Iranian theatres
15 Jan 2008, 0000 hrs IST,AFP

    TEHRAN: A director who shares the ideas of Iran's hardline president has
produced what he says is the first film giving an Islamic view of Jesus
Christ, in a bid to show the "common ground" between Muslims and Christians.

 Nader Talebzadeh sees his movie,  Jesus, the Spirit of God  , as an Islamic
answer to Western productions like Mel Gibson's 2004 blockbuster  The
Passion of the Christ  , which he praised as admirable but quite simply
"wrong".

 "Gibson's film is a very good film. I mean that it is a well-crafted movie
but the story is wrong - it was not like that," he said, referring to two
key differences: Islam sees Jesus as a prophet, not the son of God, and does
not believe he was crucified.
 Talebzadeh said he even went to Gibson's mansion in Malibu, California, to
show him his film. "But, it was Sunday and the security at the gate received
the film and the brochure and promised to deliver it," though the Iranian
never heard back.

 Even in Iran,  Jesus, The Spirit of God  had a low-key reception, playing
to moderate audiences in five Tehran cinemas during the holy month of
Ramadan, in October.

 The film, funded by state broadcasting, faded off the billboards but is far
from dead, about to be recycled in a major 20 episode spin-off to be
broadcast over state-run national television this year.

 Talebzadeh insists it aims to bridge differences between Christianity and
Islam, despite the stark divergence from Christian doctrine about Christ's
final hours on earth.

 "It is fascinating for Christians to know that Islam gives such devotion to
and has so much knowledge about Jesus," Talebzadeh said.

 "By making this film I wanted to make a bridge between Christianity and
Islam, to open the door for dialogue since there is much common ground
between Islam and Christianity," he said.

G. Waleed Kavalec
We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator. We can laugh at
those who think spirituality the way of weakness.
Paradoxically, it is the way of strength. The verdict of the ages is that
faith means courage.
 --  Alcoholics Anonymous,  Page 68