*Islamic Finance Fulfills US Home Dream*
IslamOnline.net & News Papers
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1209357533688&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

  [image: Image]

*"The American dream is to purchase a house, and the American Muslim dream
is to be able to do so in an Islamic manner," said Jaka. (Washington post
Photo)*
CAIRO — Mounir Elhaj was anxious to know how Islamic finance could help her
avoid the dilemma of a woman she knows who lost her house after paying
mortgage for 17 years once she started missing payments, the *Washington
Post* reported on Tuesday, May 13.

"The bank still took her house," Elhaj, 45, told sales representative of
Guidance Residential, a Shariah -compliant home financing company, at a
recent annual community fair in Virginia's northwestern suburb of Sterling.

"So I want to know if I bought a house and then fail to pay, can you help
me?"

"Yes, we can," the representative immediately replied with a smile.

He explained that Shariah forbids businesses from profiting from a
customer's financial hardship.

So, he added, if a customer falls behind on payments there is a number of
ways to help him/her cover the mortgage.

One way is to charge the person a flat administrative fee to cover
processing the mortgage, without percentage-based penalties or piling up
additional fees.

Other Islamic finance companies buy the house and then sell it to the home
buyer again in fixed monthly installments at an agreed-upon marked-up price.

Another option is for the financier and the home buyer to enter a
lease-to-own contract similar to those used to buy cars.

Islam forbids Muslims from usury, receiving or paying interest on loans.

Shariah-compliant financing deals resemble lease-to-own arrangements,
layaway plans, joint purchase and sale agreements, or partnerships.

Islamic banks and finance institutions cannot receive or provide funds for
anything involving alcohol, gambling, pornography, tobacco, weapons or pork.

*Popular*

Nabila Zerrarka is searching for her first home and has already obtained a
prequalification letter for a conventional bank loan.

But after knowing of the more straightforward ways Islamic companies offer
for home-finance at the Sterling annual fair, she is reweighing her options.

"What we've seen is that with interest-bearing loans, there are all these
gimmicks and hidden costs and tricks that they can surprise you with," said
the American citizen of Algerian origin.

Islamic home finance companies are flourishing nationwide with more home
buyers choosing the alternative, interest-free deals over conventional
mortgages.

"Folks have been questioning the methods used by conventional mortgage
companies over the last three or four years," Hussam Qutub, a spokesman for
Guidance Residential, told the *Post*.

"I think that makes more people think, 'Well what about the emergence of
this [Islamic-] compliant financing industry? Let me give it a look and
educate myself about it to see if it could perhaps be more beneficial to
me.'"

Guidance Residential, which has financed more than 5,000 home purchases
since it began in 2002, is reporting its best year yet with business up 7
percent in the first quarter of 2008.

Officials at University Islamic Financial, another one of the four major
Islamic home-finance institutions in the US, say the number of
home-financing applications quadrupled from last March.

The company, which originally began working in the state of Michigan, has
expanded its operations to seven other states last year.

*Muslim Dream*

For American Muslims, the interest-free mortgage deals are about much more
than just avoiding the evils of conventional loans: it gives peace of mind.

"I wish I could avoid everything that Islam doesn't allow," says Hirsi
Dirir, a Somali-born technology analyst.

Dirir recently obtained a mortgage loan from Lariba, a major company
specialized in family home financing, to buy a townhouse.

He says that managing to buy the house of his dreams while adhering to his
faith by not paying interests made him feel much more comfortable.

"So if I have the opportunity and the choice to avoid interest, then it's
very important to me not to mess with it."

Rizwan Jaka, president of the All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling,
recently moved with his wife and six children to a house he bought with the
help of an Islamic finance company in Washington.

He believes the emergence of such arrangements constitutes an important
milestone in the integration of Muslims, estimated at six to seven million.

"It definitely marks a coming of age for us… It's part of the whole process
of being a part of this country while being able to have our faith
accommodated," said Jaka, 35.

"The American dream is to purchase a house, and the American Muslim dream is
to be able to do so in an Islamic manner."

*Related Links:*
Debt-ridden Americans Change Lifestyle
<http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1189959224445&pagename=Zone-English-News%2FNWELayout>
Islamic Banks Withstand Mortgage
Crisis<http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1201957590961&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout>
Islamic Loan Funds London Real
Estate<http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1203757646017&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout>
Non-Muslims Favor Islamic
Finance<http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1195032536309&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout>
Islamic Loans Serve Non-Muslim
Malawians<http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1203758807619&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout>

  <http://www.salaam.co.uk/themeofthemonth/november02_index.php>

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxsyWh1DLIUg&sa=X&oi=video_result&resnum=2&ct=thumbnail&usg=AFQjCNHdw6Ep0Rogvnm0-7gTfjjKNyx1sA>
CNBC
World - *Islamic Finance*: Applying religion to
economics<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyWh1DLIUg>
on* Islamic* Banking