The Ideal Muslim: Characteristics of the Ideal Muslim According to the Qur’an
and the Sunnah

The IDEAL MUSLIM
The True Islamic Personality of the Muslim Man
as Defined in the Qur'an and Sunnah

By  Dr. Muhammad ‘Ali Al-Hashimi
Translated by Nasiruddin Al-Khattab and Revised by Ibrahim M. Kunna and Abu Aya
Sulaiman Abdus-Sabur
Copyright and published by the International Islâmic Publishing House (IIPH),
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in 1999.

The Ideal Muslim  is a man of the highest moral character. In his relationship
with his Rabb, himself, family, parents, relatives, friends and the community
at large, he has a most excellent example in the prophet of Islam (pbuh). His
idealism is further strengthened by the characters of the first generations of
Muslims who excelled in all the various fields of human endeavor. He is
reassured by the teachings of Islam that he also can reach these noble heights
by working to improve his character daily.

Chapter 5: The Muslim and His Children

He equally treats all his children

One of the elements of wise upbringing is for the parents to treat all their
children equally, and not to favor one of them over the others in any way. The
child who feels that he is treated fairly and that he and his brothers are
equal, will grow up with a healthy self-esteem, free from feelings of
inferiority; he will not hate his brother, or eat his heart out with jealousy,
but will be content, tolerant, kind and caring towards others. This is what
Islam encourages and orders parents to do.

Bukhari and Muslim narrated from al-Nu‘man ibn Bashir (r.a.):

“My father brought me to the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) and said, ‘I have given this
son of mine a slave I have.’ The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) asked him, ‘Have you given
each of your children the same?’ He said, ‘No,’ so the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) told
him: ‘Then take the slave back.’”

According to another report Nu‘man said:

“The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) asked, ‘Have you done the same for all your children?’
(My father)  said, ‘No,’ so the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said, ‘Fear Allah (S.W.T.)
and treat all of your children equally.’ So my father went and took back his
gift.”

According to a third report:

“The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) asked, ‘O Bishr, do you have any other children?’ He
said, ‘Yes.’ The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) asked, ‘Will you give a similar gift to
each of them?’ He said, ‘No.’ So the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said, ‘Do not ask me to
witness this, because I do not want to witness unfairness.’ Then he added,
‘Would you not like all of your children to treat you with equal respect?’ “
Bishr”  said, ‘Of course.’ The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) told him: ’so do not do it.’”
(Bukhari and Muslim)

Therefore the Muslim who fears Allah (S.W.T.)  treats all his children with
equal fairness, and does not favor one above the other in giving gifts,
spending money on him or in the way he treats him. So all of them will pray for
him, love him and treat him with kindness and respect.