Email sparks debate on racism
Sharmila Devi, Foreign Correspondent

Arab American Heritage Week in New York is an example of efforts to change
attitudes. Joe Tabacca for The National
NEW YORK //

"The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out. What
better way to start than at the highest level - through the president of the
United States, one of their own."

So reads an email widely distributed in the US from unknown senders as part of
a smear campaign, satirised with mixed results by The New Yorker magazine last
week, against Barack Obama, the presumed Democratic nominee.

The liberal weekly might have been making a joke when it pictured Mr Obama as a
Muslim terrorist, his wife, Michelle, as an armed radical, and the US flag
burning in the fireplace in the Oval Office. But some Americans actually appear
to believe it, according to opinion polls.

Nearly seven years after the September 11 attacks, American Muslims find
themselves on the defensive in the face of the most extreme misconceptions,
while community leaders say it will take at least another generation before
discrimination disappears. Mr Obama slammed the bogus emails as an insult to
American Muslims. He repeated that he was a Christian and was not raised in a
Muslim home.

"You know, this is actually an insult against Muslim Americans, something that
we don't spend a lot of time talking about. And sometimes I've been derelict in
pointing that out," he said on CNN.

"There are wonderful Muslim Americans all across the country, who are doing
wonderful things. And for this to be used as sort of an insult or to raise
suspicions about me, I think, is unfortunate. And it's not what America is all
about."

His remarks were welcomed by US Muslims. "He's finally raised the issue of
bigotry," said Salam al Marayati, executive director of the Muslim Public
Affairs Council, which aims to increase the political participation of US
Muslims.

"I don't care what his religion is. Religion should not be a litmus test. We've
seen an increase in political rhetoric that's exploiting people's fears, and
it's very disturbing."

An opinion poll conducted by the Pew Research Centre after the controversy over
The New Yorker cartoon broke - and despite widespread media coverage pointing
out Mr Obama's Christian beliefs - showed that 12 per cent still think he is a
Muslim, up from 10 per cent in March.

One-quarter said they did not know what Mr Obama's religious beliefs were, with
10 per cent saying they did not know enough about him but had "heard different
things about his religion". Democrats who believe he is a Muslim were
significantly less likely to support him.

"It's a shame Obama has decided not to visit an Islamic institution or mosque
because of all the perceptions about him," said Chip Berlet, a senior analyst
at Political Research Associates, which analyses right-wing networks. "We need
leadership by all religious leaders, who should get together and forcibly speak
out against the prejudice we've seen."

After the September 11 attacks, a plethora of Muslim and Arab groups in the
United States expanded their activities, including grassroots outreach and
interfaith dialogue, but with mixed effect on reducing ignorance. It came as
little surprise to them when congressional leaders revealed to a journalist
they did not know the difference between Sunni and Shia Islam and other key
facts about the Middle East in late 2006.

"The Sunni are more radical than the Shia. Or vice versa. But I think it's the
Sunnis who're more radical than the Shia," said Jo Ann Davis, a Republican who
was on a congressional intelligence committee.

Corey Saylor, who is often be found in Congress lobbying for Muslim civil
liberties for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the legislature
"needs to improve their education" but in general he was beginning to see a
more "nuanced" understanding of Islam.

"There are people who lump Arabs, Muslims and even Sikhs all together, but a
broader understanding is beginning to trickle down," he said. "September 11 was
a horrible introduction for many people."

Arab American Heritage Week in New York takes place each July and is one
example of efforts to change attitudes.

The festival was proclaimed by Michael Bloomberg, the New York mayor, five
years ago, and groups representing diverse regions in the Arab world put on
concerts, bazaars and film screenings across the city.

Thousands of people wandered along Bond Street in downtown Manhattan two weeks
ago and sampled an outdoor shisha cafe and Middle Eastern food while watching
belly-dancing and live Arabic music. Children of Arab descent, and some adults,
had different Arab national flags painted on their faces. The street festival
was organised by the New York chapter of the Network of Arab American
Professionals.

"It's a great gathering of people from lots of different places, a fun day for
the family and a great way to educate people about our heritage," said Jumana
Bishara, a Palestinian American, who runs the Tamoreen restaurant in Bay Ridge,
a predominantly Arab part of Brooklyn.

"People ask me every day about what it means to be Arab American, and this is a
great way of showing our heritage." In the quest for further integration, Sam
Rasoul, a Muslim, is standing as the youngest congressional candidate in
elections this November. The 27-year-old, US-born child of Palestinian parents,
who moved to the United States in the 1960s, represents the Democratic Party in
Virginia.

"I believe September 11 started a cycle, and we now have a search for truth and
understanding and a fight against ignorance. Racism as a whole is still
evident, and it will take several more generations to eradicate it," he said.

Mr Rasoul is battling against Robert Goodlatte, who has been Republican
representative for 16 years and is a Christian Scientist.

"The reality is that my religion is not as much of an issue in this district
given that the incumbent belongs to an even smaller minority [Christian
Scientists] and his predecessor was Unitarian [another Christian denomination]."

Although some right-wing bloggers have taken aim at Mr Rasoul, who goes to
mosque several times a year, he said the reaction to his religion had been
fairly muted, and he would continue to campaign on issues pertaining to the
welfare of his country and not, for example, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"I'm applying for a job in the House of Representatives, which does not have
much to do with foreign policy, that's left up to the executive branch of
government," he said. "I hope to serve the American people."

The bitter "cultural wars" of a few years ago that pitched pro-Israeli groups
against Palestinian sympathisers appear to have subsided a little, said John
Esposito, Islamic scholar and director of the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Centre
for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University in Washington DC.
In 2002, at the height of the Palestinian intifada, Mr Esposito topped a list
of academics, compiled by Campus Watch, a pro-Israel group, accused of
exaggerating Israel's faults. Soon afterward, about 100 other academics asked
to be added to the list in solidarity.

"The ideologues' idea of moderate Muslims are people like Salman Rushdie [the
novelist] or Ayaan Hirsi Ali [a Muslim-born critic of Islam]. The bottom line
is they are no longer practising Muslims," Mr Esposito said.

"The fact that Obama has done as well as he has is a hopeful sign. There is a
certain desperation on the part of the right-wing ideologues because more
people are getting sick and tired of their rhetoric, but there is always the
danger they will get more rabid."

[EMAIL PROTECTED]