-----
Writers Freedom : What Should Be Islamic Stance

Recently there was a debatein the Middle East about the issue and extent of
freedom of writers and what is view about it of Islamist movement there.  The
Lebanese Menassat news agency imputed that  Brotherhood has called for
prosecution of  feminist writer Nawal Saadawi on charges of blasphemy and
contempt for religion. The brotherhood denied this and said that the news
agency made serious error in translation  which will  encourage  false
allegations by opponents of the Muslim Brotherhood that it adopts a hard-line
stance against freedoms of thought and expression. Brotherhood in its statement
said that prosecuting writers contradicts with the Muslim Brotherhood ideology
which has always been staunch supporter of freedom of thought and expression
"We promote freedom of thought," said MB Secretary General Mahmoud Ezzat, "and
never in the history of the Muslim Brotherhood we prosecuted or called for the
prosecution of writers." "But is important that writers and thinkers use their
talents in a way that respects the creeds and beliefs of others; in another
word seek to reconcile between principles of freedom and the respect to the
rights of others, so that one’s opinion will not be a violation of the other’s
freedom of belief," he told Ikhwanweb.com.

This is a touchy issue and Brotherhood has done well in explaining its
position. Brotherhood is a major Islamic movement on a global basis and we hope
this will be a guideline for all other Islamic movements. It is a different
matter that any government has right under law to proscribe a seditious or
blasphemous book.