Custody battle for lost India riot child
By R.K. MISRA, Associated Press Writer

AHMADABAD, India - The parents of a Muslim child who was separated from them
during some of India's worst religious riots six years ago are demanding that
his Hindu foster parents give him back.

Mohammed Salim and Jebunnisa Sheikh were separated from their son, Muzaffar,
during rioting that killed about 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, in the western
state of Gujarat in early 2002.
The boy, then 2 years old, was taken in by a local Hindu family which says it
found him wandering and homeless.

A court in the western city of Ahmadabad ruled in favor of the foster family on
Wednesday after the boy, who is now 9, told the court that he didn't want to
leave them. The ruling was reported in local newspapers on Friday.

The Sheikhs plan to appeal the verdict in a higher court.

"We desperately searched for our child and finally gave it up as the will of
the almighty," Mohammed Salim told reporters.

But now that the child has been located, "We will not be parted from him," he
said. "I am very obliged to the family which looked after our baby all these
years, but I will knock on every judicial door to get my son back."

The foster mother of the boy, who now uses the name Vivek Patni, refused to
give him up.

"He is all that I have got and I will not part with him," said Meena Patni.

A government-led investigation located the boy and a DNA test earlier this
month proved that the boy was the Sheikhs' missing child.

More than 400 people are still missing from the 2002 religious violence across
Gujarat, according to Teesta Setalvad, who heads Citizens for Justice and
Peace, a rights group working with riot victims that helped the Sheikh family
get information about their missing child.

The riots in Gujarat were triggered by a fire that killed 60 passengers on a
train packed with Hindu pilgrims. Hindu extremists blamed the deaths on Muslims
and rampaged through Muslim neighborhoods, but the cause of the blaze remains
unclear.

The religious violence was among India's worst since its independence from
Britain in 1947.

Relations between Hindus, who make up more than 80 percent of India's
population, and Muslims, who comprise about 14 percent, have been largely
peaceful since independence. But there have been sporadic bouts of violence
like the Gujarat riots.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080726/ap_on_re_as/india_child_custody_battle;_ylt=AhMkXekb.qkmSn158vZ6Qg1vaA8F